November 28, 2005

Let It Begin ...

Since I was a little girl I always felt that I would go to Africa to see the orphanages and that I would adopt a child from Africa. It was always a dream. Lyle always knew that my dream existed and although it was rarely discussed we both felt that one day it might just happen.

It was on November 9, 2005 that we decided to take action. Sort of. Over the past few years the word "adoption" has become less strange to us in conversations about the future. Our past miscarriages gradually made it easier to accept that we may only adopt. Since our most recent move into a larger home the topic of expanding the family came up often. However, we weren't sure if we were ready to take all the risks associated with my health and getting pregnant. Who knows how sick I would become this time and in turn loose an amazing job. Who knows if we'd loose another pregnancy, or even something worse. However, we never really said "let's adopt".

I had been discussing future kids and expanding the family with one of my dear friends whom I work with almost daily. On this particular day I randomly started looking at adoptions on line. I was drawn to one agency in particular and of course AFRICA! I briefly talked on the phoned with the agency and received very large packages that afternoon by email. I took it home to Lyle and asked him to take a look at it. I was so excited but we hadn't actually discussed anything so I left it to him to comment on in his timing. That night, he sat down and went through all the countries available and our options. It just naturally came that we were both drawn to Africa. There was no question as to what country we would request. It's a big decision though so one was not set in stone that night. [That's the "sort of" part] My excitement and questions were overflowing so I left Lyle to think and take things at his own pace.

On November 11, 2005 we had Lyle's parents over for dinner. Lyle handed his mom the adoption package, including the Ethiopian package. His mom was ecstatic. Once Lyle said the words we're adopting I became ecstatic. My mind was already at peace but we both needed to be and now Lyle openly shared that. All parents were told and the sleepless nights and excitement began.

After receiving confirmation from the bank that they would help, we sent our application to Sunrise Adoptions to adopt a child from Ethiopia. November 24, 2005 we officially made the big step. We are excited yet nervous. The next four gruelling months will consist of social workers, education and finger nail biting ... a habit hoped to have been stopped but sure to start again. It's amazing that you put every aspect of your lives, every detailed little secret, into the hands of one person. That person can make the decision as to whether we are "fit" to be parents to someone else's child. Thankfully we have God on our side.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good luck with all that life has to offer you.
All things that are good will be wished upon you as you deserve nothing but the best.
You are loved by many.

The Good Luck Guy

Anonymous said...

Every day each one of us receives beautiful gifts, to share our gifts and open our hearts and lives to a small child is a privilege.

Right now, there is only a thought of a child that is coming to conception. Just as the mother must carry and bear the baby to delivery, you too must carry and bear the desire of fulfillment, social workers and whatever else they may throw your way.

I wish, hope and dream that soon your dreams will be fulfilled and you receive a beautiful baby to cherish.

Congratulations on your choice,
Jo

Anonymous said...

Wow... that's all I've gotta say. Since I saw all the baby stuff I knew something was going down but I didn't think it would be the big A word :D Congrats and all the best! And if you ever need a babysitter, find someone more local than me... joking of course :D

Anonymous said...

Wow, I am sooooooooo happy for you guys. Yes, a process but good things come to those who wait (and I guess have patience - lol). Definitely please keep me posted. Bryan's cousins adopted two Hatian girls about 4 years ago and it's truly amazing for them. The girls are just an awesome part of Bryan's side of the family. They were not sisters but were stuck on each other at the orphanage so Jacki and Kevin took them both. They are about a year apart. Anyway, everything sounds awesome.

Fiona

Anonymous said...

Lyle & Sheri, I am so very excited for you both. I always said you two were wise beyond your years. You both have big hearts and lots of love to share with a little one. I wish you both all the best with this exciting adventure you are taking. I will check in to see how everything is progressing.

Gloria

Anonymous said...

You created my inmost being. Psalm 139:13(a)
Knit together is how the psalmist described the process of God making mankind, not manufactured or mass produced, but knitted together. Each thread of personality tenderly intertwined. Each string of temperament deliberately selected (Six Hours One Friday, Pg92.
I believe that God is at work even now, knitting together a child that He has chosen to be a member of your family, but just as important, he has chosen you and Lyle to become parents to a child He desires to make a special home for. Whoever that child is, he or she will be very blessed to have you both for parents. Your hearts are full of love and compassion and your desire to give that gift to a little one, whom without you, may not receive that rich blessing, is awesome in God's sight and the sight of others that know and love you both.
May God keep you strong and faithful as you walk through this journey with Him.
love to you both

Anonymous said...

Wow!

So much excitement. Honestly, I think it's so great that you guys are doing this. It is such a huge decision, but I know you are great people and I am sure that you will be successful in your hopes of adopting a child. Best of luck this year, thanks for making my day :)

bren