I've recently been asked how to use a Lapa, which is like a sling to carry children in. It is a common sight in many African countries. The big difference with it is, unlike traditional baby carriers, it can be used with bigger children. Mikiyas has used even at 35 pounds, and I know he can keep using it for a while yet. The biggest difference of all though is the cost. Two meters of material from Wal-Mart only cost me $15.00 ... so I bought two styles. There is no extra padding in it like store bought carriers, but I don't have a problem with it personally, and a little extra padding could easily be added.
So here is a recent video of Mikiyas getting in the lapa with me. On this particular day he had asked me if he could go in it. He wasn't feeling 100% and wanted lots of cuddles, but knew I was busy. So Mikiyas rode around while I did laundry, made homemade soup, and did some other errands around the house. Then he went in it again during our Costco trip. When he was feeling better, I spun around in circles for a little ride, which definitely shows it's strength.
So here is a recent video of Mikiyas getting in the lapa with me. On this particular day he had asked me if he could go in it. He wasn't feeling 100% and wanted lots of cuddles, but knew I was busy. So Mikiyas rode around while I did laundry, made homemade soup, and did some other errands around the house. Then he went in it again during our Costco trip. When he was feeling better, I spun around in circles for a little ride, which definitely shows it's strength.
It can also be used with smaller children on the front, which is why I swung Mikiyas around to the front at the end of the video to show what it would look like. But babies tend to be lying down in the sling part on the front. To put babies or smaller children in it, it is easiest to lie them on the material on a bed, you sit at the end and lean back like you would lay on top of them and tie them on.
** Additional note: The width of the fabric is whatever Wal-Mart gave me when I bought the fabric. I didn't measure and did nothing with it. If I remember correctly, it was quite wide because they had it folded in half. You can't have it too wide. I did no sewing or amending to the fabric, however, anyone with a sewing machine [unlike me] may wish to sew the ends in because after washing they frey a bit.
13 comments:
Thank you so much for showing how that is done. He sure seems to like it! How long and wide does the fabric have to be and is it a certain type of fabric?
Hey, that looks great and soooo easy!
I see you brought 2 metres but was also wondering the length.
I've made an additional note on the blog regarding the width of the fabric.
I LOVE this video Sheri and wow Mikiyas has grown so much !
Its great to see you on a video as well since we have never met in person yet !!
I love your lappa and think its great that you were able to make it !
I wear my sling with the girls often and they also love it very much and it was great in Ethiopia as well !
Lisa
You are such a pro. That looks WAY easier than the myriad of carrying devices I use!
I have to laugh, Sheri! My 15 -month old daughter doesn't like the regular carriers we have so I thought I'd try putting her in a lapa but getting her to stay in one place is like an impossible task! I felt like I was tying to rope a little calf or something! Haha! Anyway, maybe we should try again (when she's asleep or something). :)
Deena
Sheri, thanks for posting this... I love it! I'm planning now on trying it when we have our own little one. :)
Dianne
Thank you so much for that video clip. I was wondering how to do that. Do you just leave the 2meters of fabric as is or do you have to cut and sew? Lisa
Personally, I thought this looked ridiculous...the boy isn't a baby...he's a toddler, who for the most part can walk on his own. What happened to the good old fashioned stroller? At least BOTH of you would be comfortable if you used one. You haven't sold me on this new accessory at all! It looks gimicky!
I think the amount of fabric and the weight of the child is going to be more of a hinderance than anything. And if you look at his little face, he looks bloody uncomfortable - squished into this contraption. Good Luck trying to fit him into one of these things with winter gear on...
Did I mention it looks ridiculous???
Sheri
I love your blog. I have always wanted to carry my children. I love slings, but they are all so expensive. Your video was great. What are the two styles you are talking about? Is that two different kinds of fabric? What kind of fabric works best? Do you find the double knot stays in place or does it slip?
I am so looking forward to carrying our children, though we have a bit of a wait as we are still more at the beginning of our journey.
I have always wanted something that we could carry a young baby to toddler age in different positions. Sorry this is so long.
Thanks,
Hi Mare
The two "styles" are two different designs of materials. Miki picked out cars, and I picked out something colorful. The double knot works and stays in fine. I've had no slipping issues.
Would love to keep updated on your own adoption journey. Feel free to email me!
Sheri
Hi Sheri
Thank you so much.I would love to keep in touch with e-mail. What is your e-mail address, I don't see it on your blog.
I can't wait to make my own Lapa, I am going to check out the different choices this week. When you carry Mikiyas when it is colder out, do you carry him inside your coat or on the outside?
Thanks,
Mare
That is so cool. Thanks for sharing. Hopefully I'll be able to use it in a few years
Post a Comment