I don't know what it is about this blog, but it seems it's attracts controversy for some of the most "ridiculous" things. I'd like to point out that my blog is my family's life. If you don't agree with our lives, keep the opinions to yourselves or at least have the guts to put your name to your comment:
"Personally, I thought this looked ridiculous...the boy isn't a baby...he's a toddler, who for the most part can walk on his own. What happened to the good old fashioned stroller? At least BOTH of you would be comfortable if you used one. You haven't sold me on this new accessory at all! It looks gimicky!
I think the amount of fabric and the weight of the child is going to be more of a hinderance than anything. And if you look at his little face, he looks bloody uncomfortable - squished into this contraption. Good Luck trying to fit him into one of these things with winter gear on...Did I mention it looks ridiculous??? "
Since you oh-so-non-politely actually asked questions, I will answer them in the simplist language I can find.
1. The good old fashioned stroller is in the basement, and is used for day trips and when I don't want to carry my son. Question - do you have a problem with Baby Trekkers, Snugglis and other baby carriers? No different. This is just cheaper and if mothers throughout the entire continent of Africa can do it ... why can't I?
2. The lapa is comfortable. I don't know how my son's face looks bloody uncomfortable. Considering he brought me the lapa and asked me for a ride, I'm guessing he's not too uncomfortable. We decided to tape it, since he wanted in it and people were asking me how to use the Lapa.
3. My son's weight is healthy and the necessary amount of fabric is no hinderance at all. Any less fabric to unhinder us would mean my son is falling on the floor. And gimicky? It has the least amount of gimics you can find on a 2 meter peice of material.
4. My son loves to run and does all the time. We can barely keep up. But children sleep and children nap and sometimes on day trips, or a walk around the block their little feet get tired or their eyes get heavy and they wish to be carried. Carrying him with free arms, especially when pushing a younger child in a stroller, or a buggy of groceries, is much easier. My son has also asked to use it when he's been unwell and wants to cuddle on me while I make him lunch and do the laundry.
5. Umm ... it's winter now and we don't seem to have a problem.
6. Thank you for expressing your view that it looks ridiculous. Each person is entitled to their opinion. If you don't like the lapa that's fine. I don't care. Why'd you seriously have to comment anything? Freedom of speach I suppose ... on my personal blog.
The fact that the above even needed to be defended is silly, so I won't even go into wasting my time to educate this anonymous reader on personal touch bonding and the importance associated therewith.
This blog was created to update our family and friends with our adoption stories, and to help the many other adoptive families in the process. It has successfuly done both of those things - moreso than I ever anticipated. I am sick and tired of sarcastic comments and ridicule from people who don't have the guts to even associate their name with what they feel they have the freedom to comment on. To take this blog private would be a shame as many families have found it by doing google searches or through others when needing assistance in their own lives. I therefore refuse at this point to make it private, but I will no longer sit silently while I click "reject" to your distasteful comments. Get your own life and quit using mine as an unloading dock.
Thanks to other 99% of you for your support and love that you show our family! We appreciate you all!
"Personally, I thought this looked ridiculous...the boy isn't a baby...he's a toddler, who for the most part can walk on his own. What happened to the good old fashioned stroller? At least BOTH of you would be comfortable if you used one. You haven't sold me on this new accessory at all! It looks gimicky!
I think the amount of fabric and the weight of the child is going to be more of a hinderance than anything. And if you look at his little face, he looks bloody uncomfortable - squished into this contraption. Good Luck trying to fit him into one of these things with winter gear on...Did I mention it looks ridiculous??? "
Since you oh-so-non-politely actually asked questions, I will answer them in the simplist language I can find.
1. The good old fashioned stroller is in the basement, and is used for day trips and when I don't want to carry my son. Question - do you have a problem with Baby Trekkers, Snugglis and other baby carriers? No different. This is just cheaper and if mothers throughout the entire continent of Africa can do it ... why can't I?
2. The lapa is comfortable. I don't know how my son's face looks bloody uncomfortable. Considering he brought me the lapa and asked me for a ride, I'm guessing he's not too uncomfortable. We decided to tape it, since he wanted in it and people were asking me how to use the Lapa.
3. My son's weight is healthy and the necessary amount of fabric is no hinderance at all. Any less fabric to unhinder us would mean my son is falling on the floor. And gimicky? It has the least amount of gimics you can find on a 2 meter peice of material.
4. My son loves to run and does all the time. We can barely keep up. But children sleep and children nap and sometimes on day trips, or a walk around the block their little feet get tired or their eyes get heavy and they wish to be carried. Carrying him with free arms, especially when pushing a younger child in a stroller, or a buggy of groceries, is much easier. My son has also asked to use it when he's been unwell and wants to cuddle on me while I make him lunch and do the laundry.
5. Umm ... it's winter now and we don't seem to have a problem.
6. Thank you for expressing your view that it looks ridiculous. Each person is entitled to their opinion. If you don't like the lapa that's fine. I don't care. Why'd you seriously have to comment anything? Freedom of speach I suppose ... on my personal blog.
The fact that the above even needed to be defended is silly, so I won't even go into wasting my time to educate this anonymous reader on personal touch bonding and the importance associated therewith.
This blog was created to update our family and friends with our adoption stories, and to help the many other adoptive families in the process. It has successfuly done both of those things - moreso than I ever anticipated. I am sick and tired of sarcastic comments and ridicule from people who don't have the guts to even associate their name with what they feel they have the freedom to comment on. To take this blog private would be a shame as many families have found it by doing google searches or through others when needing assistance in their own lives. I therefore refuse at this point to make it private, but I will no longer sit silently while I click "reject" to your distasteful comments. Get your own life and quit using mine as an unloading dock.
Thanks to other 99% of you for your support and love that you show our family! We appreciate you all!
41 comments:
Sheri, that is unbleievable and ridiculous!!
I would really like to see this person post their name.
And yes, I appreciate your blog not being private as it brought me a lot of insight and education when I was in the beginning of the process and I'm sure other families would feel the same.
Ricki
It's funny how some people automatically reject something because it's different. We live in a society where we have harnesses and leashes for our children and a piece of fabric is gimicky? i think it looks comfy.
Gimicky....give me a break..as if the carriers with a dozen buckles, snaps and hooks aren't gimicky let alone cumbersome.
I actually tried this with Nathaniel..he liked it...laid his head right against my back.
Sheri....that is just unbelievable!!! I use a wrap as well..the entire time we were in Ethiopia in fact (a 5 m piece of fabric) and it was sooo comfortable, my back never ached like it did if I held him for long periods without it.
Louise
Sheri,
I for one really appreciated your post about the Lapa and the video is great! I can't understand how anyone can critize your personal choice for how you carry your child?!?!?
I am very excited to try this with Mitike, when we are in Ethiopia. As a stroller is not functional there, and packing space and weight is an issue...a few meters of material is certainly easier to pack than anything else!
I have always enjoyed your blog and appreciate your honesty on some sensitive topics.
And good for your standing up to ridiculous, rude, anonymous commenters!!
Shelley
Hi Sheri,
We haven't met but I am a member of the same message boards as you.
Your post allowing us to visit your blog and see the lapa video was very much appreciated. I for one am definitely going to follow in your foot steps and the foot steps of many mothers before us.
I find it sad that someone would comment on something they obviously know nothing about and then to not even have the nerve to leave their name. Good for you for taking a stand.
Rana
Omg!!! How ridiculous!!! I HATE when people leave negative comments but don't have the guts to leave their names.
I am amazed by the rudeness of others. Haven't they heard "If you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all?"
I think the Lapa is so great. I really appreciate you posting and videotaping it.
Great blog reply too!
Michelle
unbelievable...........
Sheri, your blog was one of the first blogs that I started to follow, it helped confirm our decision to adopt from Ethiopia. You have a wonderful way with words and your honesty and openness have been a great learning tool for me. It would be a shame for others not to have the same opportunity because of one ignorant person who doesn't even have the b@!!s to leave their name when they post. I loved your video and I am planning on using a lapa when we finally have our baby.
Good job in your response. Hopefully they read it.
Shannon
Hee hee.... "new accessory". Sorry, that cracks me up. It's only been used for what, a couple of hundred years? More maybe?
Sheri,
I again cannog believe this....I have always enjoyed the honesty in your blog and loved the video of the Lapa.....
I have also used a sling with my toddler as you know and she LOVES it as well !
So sorry to hear that you are receiving these comments...
Lisa
Sheri:
This is sooo annoying... why do people feel the need to comment negatively, and then not leave their name?
I love that you have answered back, I laughed...
And as a comment to this person, I love slings and your lapa... and you know what, older children LOVE to feel close to their parents, no matter their age. My 5.5 year old asks to go in the sling all the time, and enjoys it when I allow him to. My 3 year old also asks and loves it... so I say keep on doing what you are doing, and for those not into it... well, why, why must you voice your opinions on a personal blog?
Sandi
I love the fact that you posted this persons embarassing comment! They just look absolutely ridiculous! Maybe this person needs mental help or something.
I too love your blog. I think everyone appreciates your honesty, and I too learned a lot about from your blog when I started this wonderful journey.
Julie
You rock Sherri! I love the lapa and I carry my 1 year old son (who is ridiculously active) around with a similar type thing. What is super cool, is that when he is on my hip or back, he is calm, quiet and bonding with me. A welcome change from chasing a crazy little kid around all day!!!! Boo to the wimp with no name!!! Amber and Tuloro...
Sheri, I thought it was great! And well, some people are ignorant...I love your blog! Keep going, Girl!! :)
You go girl! That is a ridiculous post!
Your video totally got me hooked on finding a way to carry our future child around as often as possible. I truly hope the original "post-er" is not adopting...that would be unfortunate for the child!
Good for you for responding as you did. Very well said; articulate and straight forward.
Thanks for your ongoing updates.
Barb
I agree. Leave your name or shut it. I'm sorry that was directed at you Sheri. I use a wrap or my Ergo daily with little dude. Everyone in the adoption community knows that wearing babies/toddlers fosters attachment. The kids like it. We like it. It's easier than a stroller. You stood up for yourself a lot nicer than I would have, way to go!
When I first started reading this comment, I thought, is this real or a joke? Sounds like this is a very unhappy person without anything better to do.. Perhaps "anonymous" will see this in print and might realize how outrageous they sound. I agree, "if you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all!" Good for you for posting it Sherry and keep up the good, informative work!
Sheri,
*I* am glad you did this. Guess what me and THREE year old son did as soon as we saw your video??? We ran and got a piece of fabric and tried out your method. The phone rang in the middle of our trial, so we had to stop.
After I hung up the phone and tried again, my little guy immediately lay his head on my back 'in position', as he had learned on the previous go, and wanted UP. He LOVED being close to mummy.
At age three he is still loving to be held and in my busy life of raising six boys, I don't often have enough time to tote him around!! This works wonderfully! *I* am sold on it!!
Thank you for posting!!!
Wow! That is so crazy how your blog seems to attract such negative attention. Crazy! I teared up at the end of the video (probably also due to PMS) when I saw how content and happy you two looked together. Perhaps your blog takes all the heat b/c God knows you are a strong women that can handle it! I'm sure this only makes you stronger!!!
I'll keep this short, i could go on but it looks like you are flooded with emails!!!
take care,
emily
Sheri I was looking through the comments on the Lapa Video post, and saw Deena's comment...I laughed out loud when she said trying to get her daughter into it was like rope a little calf. Thats exactly how I would put trying to get Nathaniel actually into it... 14 m olds who do not stay still for long....yea don't like to stand still...but once he was actually in it...he loved it! haha
Louise
Sheri,
I'm with the rest of the crew!! Your blog has been fantastic, it has tons of info that is so helpful to all of us waiting! And I was telling my husband about the Lapa today, saying, would you rather this or a backpack type one...
So thanks for the info! Keep it up, and that person should know that if you can't say anything nice, you shouldn't say anything at all!!
Rhonda
The only good thing about this terrible post- is that things like this always seem to "rally the troups"!! For the blogs that I follow I've seen this quite a few times and it ends up with a new found excitement around the blog. So I say to the orginal nay-sayer- thanks for the excitment increaser!
It's so sad that this/these persons would forget to just truly celebrate Thankfulness, that we have arms and limbs to carry our children...as I'm sure the Mothers in Africa feel, thankfullness for every day they have to tote their sweet children around, children, of whom a lot, I'm sure, don't have proper shoes etc, on their feet. Perhaps being opposed to this idea, is just an insecurity towards one's own Healthfulness or lack there of...? Not meant to be a harsh comment, but I'm SO grateful for a mother who gave me one of these wraps - and taught me to use it.... My daughters LOVED it....
I just don't understand why some people feel the need to give their negative opinion on SOMEONE ELSE'S family choices. Sheesh. Nobody asked.
Thank you for keeping your blog public, despite the nay-sayers. I love your ideas, lapa included, and they help me get thinking about preparing for our someday-child.
I can't wait to try a lapa with our child someday, and look forward to the cozy bonding time it will allow us!
Sheri
Honestly I am petrified to make a comment as I was one showing once that made a nasty comment on your blog which I would NEVER do and am STILL waiting to hear from security on it. I've not posted since but want you to know that there are 99% that sooo appreciate hearing your journey and wish you all the best. Some people are just mean and it's about themselves not you. Good for you for speaking back. Wishing you all the best.
Jill
Sheri -
your blog was one of the first we followed when we started adopting from Ethiopia - and it's been great to see your lovely boy come home and grow and flourish. People can be negative - keep clicking "Regect." We don't want to hear it either. What we do appreciate are your stories, your challenges and successes - because it makes it easier when we are going throug our own journeys and feel alone.
BTW, my husband thought it was pretty cool, the lapa, and said "I could probably use that out for walks.." - they guy who doesn't want to use a sling. Probably it'll be camo fabric or something! :-) but whatever.
Cheers
Nicky
as already well said, what is with the "anonymous" comments. it's your life, it's your baby and it's your blog. get a life people and sign your name or don't sign at all. !!!
-anon.
You have your blog posted on public domaine...don't expect everyone to agree with you. Not everyone is a soccer Mom who wants to blow smoke up your skirt.
It's unfortunate to see that you have remained anonymous.
Maybe next time I visit the 100 Mile area, you'll see my son and I walking down mainstreet ... using the Lapa.
Sheri
Well Sheri, first of all I am very proud of you and that you are my daughter. You have always been one to stand firm for what you believe even when opposed and yet to stand corrected if need be. There are many that are very blessed by your blog and your life journey which you openly share with us and then there is the one that possibly just doesn't understand the whole story or the fact that you shared the Lapa with us all because people were asking you to. Then again, whoever it is, they are following your blog.
I personally love to see the interaction between Mikiyas and you and it is obvious he is enjoying it! :) Love Mom
That's kind of scary who is this person - what a bizarre thing to say. I think it is a great idea. I wouldn't mind making one for my grandaughter she quite often wants to be picked up or have a piggy back ride as well.
I am sure you won't waste your time and let it get to you - there are people in this world that seem to be here for the sole purpose of bringing others down. Especially if they are happier than the one bringing them down.
I don't believe, Sheri, or anyone who blogs expects everyone to agree with all that they post. But why is it when someone does disagree they can't do it in an adult, intelligent, and respectful way. Anonymous poster - do you realize how ignorant and ridiculous your comment was??
Honestly, no good Mom would carry their child in a way that was very uncomfortable to them. The Lapa is very comfortable for both mother and child.
And "The good old fashioned stroller?" ...Are you kidding...do you not realize that carrying a child with a length of fabric is the oldest, and still currently, the most used way of carrying children through out the world. And there are some countries where a stroller would not be useful -as they have no roads and nice paved sidewalks.
Perhaps in the future when disagreeing with something - think first before commenting..make sure you have something intelligent to say and say it respectfully.
Like, "This is interesting, but I am not sure it is for me. Do you find all that material to be cumbersome? etc. " Who knows..you might just learn something.
Shelley
I LOVE the Lapa! I think that it is a fabulous child wearing tool, and I think that it is so great that you and Mikiyas obviously love using it together (and it is so useful for many reasons, including as a practical carrying tool and a bonding facilitator).
In regards to those crazy comments on your personal blog, I am glad that you had the courage and wit to stand up to this individual. Boy, that person had some pretty lame and offensive things to say...
All the best to you and your family. I can't wait to lapa carry my children when they get home!!! Liz
Dear "Anonymous",
It's too bad that you are not strong enough to post your name. That fact alone makes you quite the coward.
First of all, Sheri never expected ANYONE to agree with her. Her reason for posting the information and video was because people ASKED her to so they could learn how to use one if they WANTED. And being that you are obviously NOT one of these people, why don't you mind your business and shut it.....the post was not FOR you or ABOUT you.
And no not everybody wants to "blow smoke up her skirt" but that doesn't mean it's okay to throw water in her face.
Oh and because you are obviously ignorant and uneducated of the bonding benefits of carrying/holding your child no matter what age (ESPECIALLY adopted children, maybe you should read up on it or better yet, quit leaving nasty comments about something you know nothing about.
Sheri, maybe you could change your blog to stop allowing anonymous comments and then if this person feels the need to comment again, s/he will have to tell us who they are and I'll bet that will never happen.
I love your blog and because we are 2 different people, we may not share the exact same views on everything, but so far I have learned A LOT from your blogging your experiences.
Keep it up!
Ricki
That comment is so ridiculous it is almost funny. People are amazing at how blatent and outright rude they can be. Really, why do people feel the need to comment on something. If they don't agree, they can keep their mouths shut.
Just be grateful that you have much better things to do in life, like enjoying your son, then to waste your time making rude comments on other peoples blogs. Obviously this person has nothing to do..
Don't worry! I love hearing about your blog and found your Lapa entry very interesting!
hey sheri!!
i too have VERY much appreciated your blog. i have learnt so much about the adoption process through reading your blog. and i love the lapa!! thank you for posting the video of it. i'm sorry that you have had to deal with more than 1 nasty comment left about the lapa, of all things. my gosh?!?! that is ridiculous, not the lapa...
Dear Sheri,
Thanks so much for inviting us all to follow your blog. I hope ridiculous and petty comments like this won't discourage you from sharing your lives and experiences with us. We learn so much from each other. This person sounds like they could have used some time in a lapa (or the like)...what did you say the weight limit was? hee!
Jennifer (ie. "soccer mom")
I know that you have had like a zillion replies to this but I just wanted to add my support. I really appreciate the way you have shared your adoption journeys and your information and all of my knowledge and experience regarding adoption absolutely supports baby/toddler-wearing so I hope you won't let one person's opinion get you down!
I just stumbled upon your blog. Dh and I have just started researching adopting from Ethiopia. We have 3 from China and 'wearing' them was the hands down best thing that I did to promote bonding. My children love it. My youngest two (both 2) follow me around with the carrier saying 'I want to ride!'. I might have to head to Walmart to get some fabric to make a lapa for them:)
Lisa L
Sometimes people say things just for the reaction. Sometimes they are not even aware this why they are doing it.
If it wasn't for you, I would still not know how to make a Lapa or how to use it properly.
Thank you.
Hi,
I have to add a comment here. UNBELIEVABLE!!! It's not like you were forcing this product down everybody's throat. You were merely putting it out there to share with parents as something they might like to see/use with their children. Being anonymous truly brings out the worst in people. Keep up the great blog.
Janice
Post a Comment