Yesterday I got the update from Sunrise on where we are at with gathering our dossier documents. Lyle and I are almost done ... just waiting for the medical reports to arrive and the Ministry background checks to come through. Our homestudy report is being written, and once completed / received, our Provincial approval will be given. It's so far so good for our documents to leave BC for Alberta before the month is over.
Here's a list of documents that we are required to provide:
Letter of Intent to Adopt - notarized
Photos of our home and family
Two passport photos of Lyle and I
Homestudy report
Employment verification letter from each employer
Financial Statement
Medical Forms for Lyle and I
Medical Letter confirming Mikiyas' health
Criminal record checks for Lyle and I
Marriage Certificate - notarized
Birth Certificates of all 3 of us, and applicable name change certificates - notarized
Four letters of reference
Power of Attorney - notarized
Post Placement Agreement - notarized
Provincial Approval Letter
Client Information Forms
Two Statements of Understanding Medical Risks - one for each agency
And of course ... the money
I think that's everything at this stage.
So I headed to the bank yesterday. It was an interesting experience. Not only did I stare at the bank drafts with wide eyes, tell the teller no - I didn't want to know the balance of my line of credit [he was nice enough to tell me that I won't get a return on it like a house investment, but it's still a terrific investment], I also had a long chat about bureaucracy in the adoption world.
He was very interested in the differences between biological family planning and adoptive family planning, as well as ways we're treated differently. I had my nice little MSP spiel and how we got raked over by Mikiyas' lab work being marked up because we paid had to pay private before the care card came, even though it was to be reimbursed. I talked about automatic citizenship and that I'm in complete agreement with it [saves application fees and some months waiting for the card to come in the mail, making travel easier] but that I don't think it should go through without still having the medical check, which is the cause of possible delays. It may speed things up not having to do the medical, but I really think it should still be done.
What was comforting to my mind as I struggled to wrap my mind around the figures we owe the bank, was when Mikiyas climbed into his "big boy" chair at the table and again pointed to the high chair saying "Little chair. For little girl some day.". I smiled again. At least I know he understands that a sister is a little girl because I refer to her as a sister, and he refers to her as a little girl.
Working on some adoption things last night before bed, I found it hard to go to sleep. I felt the excitement again that we felt two years ago every time progress was made. But I also already feel much more patient. Probably because it's going faster at this point, and because I already have Mikiyas home. But I think too because I know what's going on. I know what to expect. I know I can't be in control of everything ... and I've really learned to trust agencies even through the crappy times.
Here's a list of documents that we are required to provide:
Letter of Intent to Adopt - notarized
Photos of our home and family
Two passport photos of Lyle and I
Homestudy report
Employment verification letter from each employer
Financial Statement
Medical Forms for Lyle and I
Medical Letter confirming Mikiyas' health
Criminal record checks for Lyle and I
Marriage Certificate - notarized
Birth Certificates of all 3 of us, and applicable name change certificates - notarized
Four letters of reference
Power of Attorney - notarized
Post Placement Agreement - notarized
Provincial Approval Letter
Client Information Forms
Two Statements of Understanding Medical Risks - one for each agency
And of course ... the money
I think that's everything at this stage.
So I headed to the bank yesterday. It was an interesting experience. Not only did I stare at the bank drafts with wide eyes, tell the teller no - I didn't want to know the balance of my line of credit [he was nice enough to tell me that I won't get a return on it like a house investment, but it's still a terrific investment], I also had a long chat about bureaucracy in the adoption world.
He was very interested in the differences between biological family planning and adoptive family planning, as well as ways we're treated differently. I had my nice little MSP spiel and how we got raked over by Mikiyas' lab work being marked up because we paid had to pay private before the care card came, even though it was to be reimbursed. I talked about automatic citizenship and that I'm in complete agreement with it [saves application fees and some months waiting for the card to come in the mail, making travel easier] but that I don't think it should go through without still having the medical check, which is the cause of possible delays. It may speed things up not having to do the medical, but I really think it should still be done.
What was comforting to my mind as I struggled to wrap my mind around the figures we owe the bank, was when Mikiyas climbed into his "big boy" chair at the table and again pointed to the high chair saying "Little chair. For little girl some day.". I smiled again. At least I know he understands that a sister is a little girl because I refer to her as a sister, and he refers to her as a little girl.
Working on some adoption things last night before bed, I found it hard to go to sleep. I felt the excitement again that we felt two years ago every time progress was made. But I also already feel much more patient. Probably because it's going faster at this point, and because I already have Mikiyas home. But I think too because I know what's going on. I know what to expect. I know I can't be in control of everything ... and I've really learned to trust agencies even through the crappy times.
4 comments:
How wonderful that you allow all of us to be a part of your journey, as you did with Mikiyas. I am so glad that he is part of this journey too. I am also daily gaining excitement in regards to the little girl that will someday share our lives too. Mom
How cute that he calls her little girl.... he will make such a wonderful big brother..
Like your moms said.. thank you for letting us share this journey with you all again !
Lisa
Great to see you are getting closer...one step at a time.
Julie
It's so great to meet others who are also adopting from Ethiopia. I found your blog on google and I would love to keep in touch on our blogs. My address is: http://boydfamilyadoption.blogspot.com/
Many blessing to you and your family,
Amber
Post a Comment