August 16, 2006

Long time no chat ...

It has been exactly twenty-one days since I last posted. That is if I can still count right. The phone calls and emails are starting to come so I figured I better make a post. The ultimate question: "Heard anything?". No we haven't. Am I bothered by this? No. Am I frustrated? No. Am I concerned? No. Am I okay? Absolutely.

Two things can explain those answers. Firstly, we expected this wait. It is still really quite early in the waiting-for-a-referral stage. No, we're not being pessimistic; we're being realistic. And yes, we still have faith. Secondly, it has been three and a half months since our dossier arrived in Ethiopia. The time has flown buy faster than I honestly ever imagined. I think the situation at work has definitely contributed to that. For those who don't know, I am a legal assistant / border-line work-aholic [that's the first time I think I've admitted that!]. I absolutely love my job. I usually have too many files happening at once and too many hours spent in the office. But more recently, one of the secretaries at work left our firm to go to another. I miss her terribly, and not just because the other secretary and myself are even more swamped than we were before we were one person short. The hours at work are going so fast. The hours turn into days, the days turn into weeks and before you know it ... our baby referral will be here. And Lyle, his time is spent with work, school, fishing and his car. He's letting this time fly by just as fast.

So no, we are not bothered, annoyed, concerned ... or any of those feelings ... yet. We are currently content knowing that God is still in control and our baby will be here in His perfect timing. Don't get me wrong. We can't wait! We're excited and are looking forward every day to when we receive our referral. We're just not wallowing ... yet.

I was photographing a wedding almost two weeks ago. A great wedding! It was absolute fun. Love, laughter and honest to goodness fun. The people there were great. I made a couple friendships of which I hope will continue to keep in touch! But something was said to me that I hadn't heard in probably ... hmm ... years?! There's nothing wrong with the question but the thought that entered my head after made me chuckle to myself. "Are you part native?" No, I am not, but thanks for asking. I just have a shade darker skin tone than some of you! What made me chuckle was that once Lyle and I do bring our gorgeous baby home, maybe I won't look as "dark". Good grief, poor Lyle may look whiter than your average piece of paper.

Now relationships ... I was listening to the radio this morning about relationships. Age differences to be exact. And yes, I was brave enough to be a caller to make it on the air. There, I've let the secret out. I was disgusted actually. There was so much bad flack happening about age differences between people and what was right [2 years max] and what was wrong [everything more than 2 years]. So I called. Someone had to say something good! Lyle and I are four and a half years apart. We met when I was nineteen and Lyle had just turned twenty-four. We dated two years before getting married. Now, as of June 19, we just passed seven years. Holy cow! Talk about two shocked radio hosts! "Good for you!" "What milestones!" "I can't believe it!" Is the world so sad that seven years is now such a huge milestone? My aunt and uncle celebrated their twenty-fifth yesterday. That to me is milestone! Have marriages become so disposable that passing seven years is so shocking? He actually asked me if I got pregnant and that was why we were married as I had been so young. I don't take our seven years for granted. It isn't always a piece of cake but I don't think it's supposed to be. If it was, it'd get boring and monotonous.

Values and commitments have changed. Vows are no longer the vows they once were. That saying that "rules are meant to be broken" is spreading into the most sacred of vows. All I can say is, I'm so thankful I have God in our marriage! I in no way mean to insult or be demeaning towards anyone who may read this that has or will become seperated or divorced. I think no less of anyone for it. I'm just talking about society in general.

Anyway, take care guys! And don't forget, August 22 is our next shot day so maybe I won't leave so much time between my next post. Now, to clean out my inbox ...

Oh ... and before I forget, Congratulations C. and H in Calgary for the birth of your beautiful little boy!! We are so thrilled for you.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Sheri, Lyn and I are 8 years apart ! and still very much in love. We just celebrated our 6th anniversary ! and having experienced a very difficult divorce 10 years ago I praise God for his faithfulness. L.

Anonymous said...

Time flys when you are busy. Tell lyle to get all the car stuff done while he can, he may not want to spend as much time or money on this for the next few yrs, maybe... or maybe thats just me.

Too bad I missed you on the radio, I heard part of it around 7:10am this morn and had to shut it off, either that or call in and yell at them myself. Apparently 30 yr old women are the #1 preference among radio personalities, 21 is gross. If they discriminate so badly and loudly about a number, what else? your skin colour? the car you drive? Maybe its just in there tone, that chick doesnt talk, she yells everything. and the guy wants to date 30yr olds for the rest of his life, ya, ok. I think its more likely he cant date the 21yr old. These radio hosts are way too closed minded, if she can name her dog symbol I can date whatever age woman I have a connection with, haha.

I have developed a snappy comeback that will shut down all further communications, example. "are you native?" - "no, are you?", "Im looking for aaron, have you seen aaron?" - "no, have you?", "are you hungry?" - "no, are you?", you can also just shorten the response to "no, you?" you can say it however you like, the best is to stare blankly past them and then just turn and/or walk away.

Oh ya, I have about 3 times your age differnce on my common law. We are having a great time.

"no! you guys take care!"

Anonymous said...

Awesome update. Thanks!

Fiona

Anonymous said...

Seven years.... doesn't seem that long since I first met you. I have photographed a few weddings that no longer exist as marriages... I always am curious what they do with the pics, who gets 'em or if they just trash the whole lot.
The mercenary in me says 'who cares, I got paid.'
Jesus in me says 'how tragic, how common my holy marriage relationship has become.'
Thanks again for all of your work at the wedding. You did indeed make some new friends...
Peter.

Anonymous said...

Hi Sheri;

Good to hear about your amazing 'adoption' journey. You have come so far, WOW. I can only imagine that it is hard to wait.

Many Blessings and Prayers;
Laverna

Anonymous said...

Awwww, you finally posted, I thought you guys were dead =D Time is indeed flying, here's hoping it keeps flying on until you get the good news :)

The Hattons... said...

Thanks for everyone's support. We appreciate it. I just wish we knew who all the anonymous posters were...




Lyle