We had our first appointment for immunizations on Sunday [July 23, 2006]. It is Wednesday today and my arm still hurts, as does Lyle's. Three needles each ~ two in the left arm, one in the right arm.
We got Hep A, Hep B, Tetanus, Polio and Typhoid.
August 22, 2006 we have appointment number 2.
I also borrowed a bathroom weigh scale today to see how much a large suitcase full of donations for the orphanages would be. Reminder ~ the weight restriction changed from 70 lbs each bag to 50 lbs each. The bag, perfectly packed to the brim, weighed 64 lbs. So after re-shuffling I got it down to 52 lbs. The suitcase has so much room in it now. It was a huge suitcase after all. I'll still have to do some more re-packing but I will wait. Besides, we're going to need a different suitcase as we noticed the one I packed has a large tear in it.
I have enough stuff now for donations. I will still probably end up being over my allowable weights when it comes to the end. If you have a collection of things you are hoping we can take with us, please let me know so I can "prioritize" so to speak. I know there has been a few people who have said they have things for us to take. We will also spread some things out in our own luggage, aside from the two pieces full of donations, if we have room. We will be packing for ourselves and a baby for two weeks so I'm unsure of what space will be available in the end. Besides the fact it is so far away at the moment. If we have leftover stuff that was to be taken, we will arrange for it to go with other families that go over, and / or send to CAFAC's office as they make numerous trips to Ethiopia each year. The stuff will eventually get there one way or another. I am going to look at seeing if some stuff can be sent with others even before we go.
As well, if you had planned on donating things but hadn't picked anything up ... the best thing from hereonin is money. All money given to us for the orphanages will be used in Ethiopia to buy bigger items [cribs, formula etc.] and / or given directly to them to purchase things as needed.
Thanks again for all your generosity and love. The compassion and support is valued in so many ways.
We got Hep A, Hep B, Tetanus, Polio and Typhoid.
August 22, 2006 we have appointment number 2.
I also borrowed a bathroom weigh scale today to see how much a large suitcase full of donations for the orphanages would be. Reminder ~ the weight restriction changed from 70 lbs each bag to 50 lbs each. The bag, perfectly packed to the brim, weighed 64 lbs. So after re-shuffling I got it down to 52 lbs. The suitcase has so much room in it now. It was a huge suitcase after all. I'll still have to do some more re-packing but I will wait. Besides, we're going to need a different suitcase as we noticed the one I packed has a large tear in it.
I have enough stuff now for donations. I will still probably end up being over my allowable weights when it comes to the end. If you have a collection of things you are hoping we can take with us, please let me know so I can "prioritize" so to speak. I know there has been a few people who have said they have things for us to take. We will also spread some things out in our own luggage, aside from the two pieces full of donations, if we have room. We will be packing for ourselves and a baby for two weeks so I'm unsure of what space will be available in the end. Besides the fact it is so far away at the moment. If we have leftover stuff that was to be taken, we will arrange for it to go with other families that go over, and / or send to CAFAC's office as they make numerous trips to Ethiopia each year. The stuff will eventually get there one way or another. I am going to look at seeing if some stuff can be sent with others even before we go.
As well, if you had planned on donating things but hadn't picked anything up ... the best thing from hereonin is money. All money given to us for the orphanages will be used in Ethiopia to buy bigger items [cribs, formula etc.] and / or given directly to them to purchase things as needed.
Thanks again for all your generosity and love. The compassion and support is valued in so many ways.
5 comments:
Hey guys. I tried to post a comment on your last entry, but I guess Blogger was down for maintenance.
I was going to ask what shots you got, but you've now answered my question! I'm surprised they didn't give you the Hep AB combo (Twinrix), which is one shot with both Hep A and B.
I went in for my shots last week (Hep A, Typhoid, Tetnus, Polio, Diptheria -two shots, one in each arm), and it was about 3 days before I didn't feel anything after stretching my arm backwards.
Wow Sheri, you must be travelling soon? How exciting. I didn't realize you had a blog, now I can come a follow your journey :)
Sebrina
Just wanted to remind you to check the airline's requirements for suitcase dimensions. I know Ethiopia Air (oh they of the formerly generous weight limit) limits bag size as well. None of our usually 'checked' baggage is small enough for EA. Just something to check into before you buy new bags.
Good to hear you got well enough to get through it!
Wow, so yer going eah? That's just wow! Keep us posted!
Have a God day!
Mike M
Post a Comment