Last post I wrote about a conversation I had with a pregnant friend of mine on August 18. There was one important even that happened that I left out of that story ... later that same night her and her husband asked me to be in the delivery room during the birth of their baby. The question alone was an adrenaline rush. Between the sugar rush over dessert and the thoughts of what was to come, I'm still surprised I slept at all.
Exactly two weeks later I sat at the hospital with her. We had a light lunch before heading in to check on the baby as the due date had come and gone a week prior. A quick visit turned into a very long visit! Just over twenty-six hours later, a beautiful little boy was born. And I was a part of it!
Childbirth is really an amazing thing. Probably more amazing when you're not the person actually focused on pushing. My first thought was, whomever said childbirth was beautiful must never have watched it! But it really is. I found myself using the same word to describe it later. Do we actually use the same word to describe sunsets, flowers, waterfalls ... God's creations? Yes. Yes we do and yes we should! I saw a beautiful little boy born in a very beautiful manner. God created us and God gave us one of the best gifts in the world ... the ability to procreate. And that is beautiful. Painful, but beautiful. I think describing childbirth as a beautiful thing, is much like explaining an oxymoron. I did have a lot of emotions and memories that filled me when it was all said and done. But none of those emotions were negative. I relived a few moments from some of our miscarriages. I did come home saying to Lyle "I just want our baby home!". But I did not become negative and dig a hole to bury my sorrow. I think there are two reasons for that. Firstly, adoption was not a second choice for us. That seems to be something that comes as a shock to some people. Even with so many adoptions happening in this world, people still expect it be only done when pregnancy / fertility fails. Secondly, I am an expecting mother. I just don't have a stomach to prove it to the world and I don't have a due date ... yet.
But now that I've seen child birth and have played an active role in it, I can really imagine my child being born. It is more real to me. And as a bonus ... that helps heal some of my lingering feelings of grief with respect to my past pregnancies.
So thanks to two wonderful friends who blessed me more than you could ever imagine. I have experienced something I will never forget. Your son will always have a special place in my heart. I thank God every day that He brought us together and blessed Lyle and I with your friendships.
3 comments:
hi sheri,
my name is esther, we live in Manitoba. we are also adopting from Ethiopia. my husband found you on the cafac proboard, and that led us to your blog. i love reading your blog, what an encouragement you are!! thank you!!
quick ?, do you have any suggestions on reading material, not found on the web? i'd like to get my hands on something.
take care and God bless you guys!!!
Awwww, very well said Sheri, and thanks again for din-dins the other night :)
You are a wonderful person Sheri. I really enjoy reading your blog and always look forward to the next update. You guys truly are inspirational people.
Nancy
Post a Comment