September 11, 2006

Country Update & Special Request

Periodically, as we wait for our child referral, we receive a "Country Update" from CAFAC. This update lets us know about changes, if any, regarding adoption procedures; increases in referral wait times; and the general state of the program in Ethiopia. We received another country updated today! The wait time can now take up to fourteen months. As of September 9, 2006 our dossier has been in Ethiopia for four months. It doesn't mean that it's impossible to get a child referral tomorrow, but it also doesn't mean we will get one within the next year.

The number of agencies in the world adopting from Ethiopia have now increased from forty-four to forty-five. That's great for the children of Ethiopia, and an added delay for all of us expecting parents.

Some statistical results from our agency alone also show a large increase in the number of adoptions [again, thank you Angelina :( ]:

2004 - 20 children 2005 - 23 children 2006 - 45 children [to date]

In our country update we have also been advised that there is a need for particular items at our foster home. As a result of changes in luggage restrictions, there is a huge decrease in what is being taken over by adoptive families and our agency. The foster home is now caring for up to 45 children at one time. It is only taking in those children that have been placed and are waiting for parent pick up. Recently, our agency was able to purchase a washer machine for the diapers, clothes and blankets. [Can you imagine washing that much stuff by hand?!] They are still on the look out for a dryer. While in Ethiopia last month, our agency rep was only able to locate a dryer for $30,000.00 Birr [$4,400.00 CDN]. As a comparison, the washer machine cost $6,500.00 CDN.

Lyle and I have decided to send CAFAC a cheque representing the remaining money we have from those raised / donated to take to the foster home. We will request that it be specifically used to help purchase the dryer. If you would like to add any funds to this particular item, please advise me no later than Sunday, September 17, 2006. I will add your funds to the total and send the money off first thing Monday morning. We will be happy to accept a "promise to pay" if you need time to send the money [so long as you haven't promised to send the equivalent of the cost of your home ... although that amount would never be discouraged :) ].

Thereafter, we will continue to accept any financial donations to take with us to Ethiopia when we go. We have run out of room to take anymore items than what has already been donated / purchased due to the decrease in acceptable luggage weight.

Thanks to everyone for your continued support during this long process. It is sometimes discouraging to think it is taking this long now, and will only take longer if / when we proceed with our second adoption.

1 comment:

montisal said...

Sheri and Lyle.
I am thrilled to have discovered your blog. I check here every day for updates. I am waiting here right along with you for your referral. It will come soon. My name is Maria and I live in Ontario. My husband and I (and our two bio kids) are adopting from South Africa. We are currently in the middle of our homestudy. Our fingers are crossed that all goes well. We are so very excited. I'll be back here again.
Cheers, Maria