April 21, 2009

Citizenship ... again

It was about a month ago I suppose ... and I neglected to post it on here. Sorry I didn't keep you all up to date in a timely fashion.

We received a letter from citizenship. Our application for Mikiyas date of birth change has passed the first level of critique ... I think ... I'm assuming so ... it didn't really say. But, due to the precedent setting nature of our request, it has been passed on to a second review board. If they require any additional information, they will let us know ... in writing of course!

I am starting to look into homeschool options in case this keeps going and I am unable to enroll Mikiyas in kindergarten. Good thing I've been getting used to preschool via homeschool.

On a different note, here's a funny tidbit. While at the park yesterday I was speaking with a lady, whom I believe is from Sudan. Here is our conversation:

Her: Is he your son?
Me: Yes he is.
Her: How black is his father? [I'm assuming that would give some indication as to where he would be from??]
Me: He's white. Our son is adopted.
Her: From where?
Me: From Ethiopia.
Her: Oh. [She looked pleased and approving during a moment of pause.] Did you get him off TV?

Me: Um, no.
Her: Did you go there?
Me: Yes.


8 comments:

Ramona said...

If only things would be so easy that we could "get our children off TV'.... Oh my. Way to go with a simple "um, no" answer to that one!
Ramona

andrea said...

That's a good one to have written down. Interesting perspective on the process on this side of the pond from someone from the other side. A

hazel said...

LOL. I have never heard of that question before.

Diane said...

Could you possibly post, or email me privately exactly what you sent to citizenship. My daughter is in the same situation, although the school board has agreed to allow her to enter school next year with a letter from our doctor. I would love to be able to get her birthdate changed. I am so happy that you are leading the way.

Diane

The Hattons... said...

Hey Diane

I haven't posted yet what all I've done with citizenship because I don't know 100% that it will work. It appears that it will so far but ... things can change. And it'll be easier to do one post with it all complete then do numerous posts if I have to update that they requested additional information. I'd hate for someone to send in all the stuff I did and later find out something more was needed. If people can eventually do this quicker than me, it'll be worth it.

I do promise that once it's done I will post exactly what I sent in to citizenship so everyone knows what is needed.

Barbara said...

I've not heard that one before either. But the response is one that has issued forth from me on many an occasion. i am well practiced.

Anonymous said...

Getting him off tv? Yep, never heard that one before but an interesting conversation, to be sure!

Ranavan said...

What? "Did you get him off t.v." that is the one of the craziest questions I have heard yet!!! I wouldn't know how to react - I would laugh at her craziness but be angry at her stupidity...sheesh!