I've been FINALLY doing our immigration sponsorship paperwork. Yes, we are one of those families doing the old route. Much like we decided to stay with CAFAC for this adoption because it was what we knew, had already experienced and they had a long history [which now we're so thankful about with the recent bankruptcy], we've decided to stick with the old route to obtain citizenship.
Normally families do the paperwork soon after their homestudy is complete. That way it's out of the way and if, in some miraculous way, you get an early referral, you don't have to stress about paperwork not being done. But us, we waited until now. The reason being is we knew all our information would change with the move to Alberta. Now that we have done the homestudy update, we decided to venture into the chaotic joy of completely government papers. I tell ya! Some of those questions can be answered fifty different ways. And to think, I had already done this once before and the forms haven't changed, but I still found it frustrating. The most annoying one was the Financial Evaluation because that is where the most change has occurred in our lives.
But, the paperwork is done now. Once Lyle's boss completes the confirmation letter, the application will be shipped off. We'll then be assigned a file number and will not do anything again until our referral.
In other news, I spoke with CAFAC the other day. I was letting them know where we were at with the paperwork and decided to ask about the wait times. It's hard to believe that in the time that this second adoption has taken thus far, we had had Mikiyas home for almost 3 months already. So far, the wait hasn't bothered me. I do wish our child[ren] were home, but I am also not stressing about the wait ... yet. This past year has been so changing and all over the place that distraction has kept the frustration away.
CAFAC has stated that for NEW adoptions, they are estimating a three year wait for referrals from the time the dossier arrives in Ethiopia. What I did like hearing was that they have a wait list to start the adoption process. I know, it seems weird to like this, but I understand and think it's a good idea. Because paperwork gets stale dated and wait times are getting longer and longer, CAFAC has families wait to start the process. Then they don't have the added expenses and updates to do during their wait time for a referral. So they do some waiting in the beginning, and less time waiting at the end. I think it makes sense, and it's nice that they are taking into consideration the costs and annoyances families must tend to as paperwork gets old. Doing this also allows families to change countries should something new open or time frames pick up somewhere else. They're not tied into a dossier sitting on a desk forever. They can change because the dossier hasn't left.
For our adoption, it's hard to say when we will get a referral. Right now, they are fulfilling referrals for dossiers that arrived in January 2008. Ours arrived end of May 2008. But, she also warned that two of the months before May were heavy months, a higher number of dossiers went to Ethiopia than normal. But CAFAC also doesn't always stay in order of who's dossier arrived first. They look at age requests [we're 3 and under], gender requests [we've asked for at least one girl] and single child or sibling requests [we've asked for both]. Plus, they also match children with families that they feel are best fit, not just a family because they may be at the top of the list and yet not suited for that specific child. So, it's very difficult to say when a referral will come.
That about sums it up for now. No news on the DOB change for Mikiyas either. Still waiting like sitting duck on top of a fence in hunting season. Will I be shot down? Hope not!
Normally families do the paperwork soon after their homestudy is complete. That way it's out of the way and if, in some miraculous way, you get an early referral, you don't have to stress about paperwork not being done. But us, we waited until now. The reason being is we knew all our information would change with the move to Alberta. Now that we have done the homestudy update, we decided to venture into the chaotic joy of completely government papers. I tell ya! Some of those questions can be answered fifty different ways. And to think, I had already done this once before and the forms haven't changed, but I still found it frustrating. The most annoying one was the Financial Evaluation because that is where the most change has occurred in our lives.
But, the paperwork is done now. Once Lyle's boss completes the confirmation letter, the application will be shipped off. We'll then be assigned a file number and will not do anything again until our referral.
In other news, I spoke with CAFAC the other day. I was letting them know where we were at with the paperwork and decided to ask about the wait times. It's hard to believe that in the time that this second adoption has taken thus far, we had had Mikiyas home for almost 3 months already. So far, the wait hasn't bothered me. I do wish our child[ren] were home, but I am also not stressing about the wait ... yet. This past year has been so changing and all over the place that distraction has kept the frustration away.
CAFAC has stated that for NEW adoptions, they are estimating a three year wait for referrals from the time the dossier arrives in Ethiopia. What I did like hearing was that they have a wait list to start the adoption process. I know, it seems weird to like this, but I understand and think it's a good idea. Because paperwork gets stale dated and wait times are getting longer and longer, CAFAC has families wait to start the process. Then they don't have the added expenses and updates to do during their wait time for a referral. So they do some waiting in the beginning, and less time waiting at the end. I think it makes sense, and it's nice that they are taking into consideration the costs and annoyances families must tend to as paperwork gets old. Doing this also allows families to change countries should something new open or time frames pick up somewhere else. They're not tied into a dossier sitting on a desk forever. They can change because the dossier hasn't left.
For our adoption, it's hard to say when we will get a referral. Right now, they are fulfilling referrals for dossiers that arrived in January 2008. Ours arrived end of May 2008. But, she also warned that two of the months before May were heavy months, a higher number of dossiers went to Ethiopia than normal. But CAFAC also doesn't always stay in order of who's dossier arrived first. They look at age requests [we're 3 and under], gender requests [we've asked for at least one girl] and single child or sibling requests [we've asked for both]. Plus, they also match children with families that they feel are best fit, not just a family because they may be at the top of the list and yet not suited for that specific child. So, it's very difficult to say when a referral will come.
That about sums it up for now. No news on the DOB change for Mikiyas either. Still waiting like sitting duck on top of a fence in hunting season. Will I be shot down? Hope not!
2 comments:
Thanks for posting this info! We're a little ways behind you guys, but on the same road. It's good to hear where things are at!
Great to get an update regarding whats happening in the world of adoptions with CAFAC. Maybe you will get your referral by christmas if the Jan/08 referrals are coming through now. :)
Post a Comment