Today [April 7] various things have occurred. Firstly, I sent out our passport applications; secondly, I sent CAFAC our immigration application to start the process of sponsoring our baby; and thirdly, we received our travel package from CAFAC. The travel package is filled with information for when we go to
Dossier Steps to Reach Ethiopia;
Adoption and Immigration Process in
Child Referral Acceptance Process; and
Travel Instruction Package.
The travel instruction package is filled with great stuff:
Immunizations;
Travel details / advice;
Documentation needed in country;
Visa application;
Packing list and tips;
Travel itinerary;
Our daily schedule in Ethiopia;
Travel budget;
Orphanage donation list;
Accommodation information;
Important phone numbers / people to know; and
How to obtain the German Transit Visa for our baby during the layover in Germany.
It also includes information about the culture and what you can and can't do in
The one thing that will suck is immunizations. Not only expensive, but needles suck. I am used to them but Lyle ... well, he'll get used to them. We need Hepatitis A and B, Typhoid, Meningococcal Meningitis, Diphtheria, Tetanus, and Polio .... There will possibly be others, but that is dependent upon the requirements of the travel health clinic in our area. Closest ones are Yarrow [of all places] and
Aside from donations to the orphanages, we need to purchase before leaving gifts to give people such as orphanage staff, tax driver, guest house staff, our power of attorney etc... It was interesting to read too that we are not to assume that people don't understand English [in other words, be careful what you say under your breath]. Every educated person in
When we get to the airport in Addis [which is designed by a Canadian I might add] there are many steps, including the whole passport / immigration check and the oh-so-important check to make sure we have been inoculated for yellow fever. Our luggage, more than likely EVERY piece, will be searched. Electronics will need to be registered and they must be with us when we return to
After going through the packing lists, I am not sure if Lyle and I will be able to take anything for ourselves. Donations ... gifts ... food ... housing items ... baby clothes [insane amount as you don't know exactly what size your baby will be] ... diapers ... bottles ... medications ... clothes line / soap ... Do we actually have room for our own clothes? The trip is 10 days, but our time in Addis will only be 7. Hmm, gives jet lag a whole new meaning to me now.
The guest house we will probably stay at is apartment style. We only need to take / purchase our own food, dish soap, tea towels and bottled water. We will have unreliable internet.
I knew I should have gone to
We received photos of sites to see in
Travelling home from Addis will be an adventure, aside from suddenly having a baby to travel with. If you think going to
We thank God everyday for this journey. We pray for our baby and some times we even feel like our baby is at a certain stage in it's life. God is opening doors and pushing this through with no problems. It's awesome and truly amazing. [Sometimes we even start to talk about how prepared we will be and what God will do if / when we adopt number two.] Remember to thank God daily for what He is doing not only in our journey, but in your journey. He is so faithful. I dreamed of doing this when I was such a little girl ... grade four. Sometimes I wonder if I would be doing it if I had had a biological child. God's ways can be so confusing at times ... but they are so perfect when looked at in the big picture. We may still have a biological child, but God needed us to answer His calling to adopt first.
Anyway, this is long enough. I am sure many of you stopped reading a third of the way in and many of you also found it profoundly interesting. Thanks for those with long attention spans. Ha-ha. Don't forget to check out the lists below. God bless each of you.
2 comments:
2nd?!? You guys are crazy, get through #1 first ;)
I love reading the updates, it's good to hear where your dreams are headed :)
I visited your site for the first time this morning. My prayers are with you on your exiting journey.
Post a Comment