Before I explain how we've made a difference, first let me share some good news. We received a letter from Nairobi, Kenya today. The letter acknowledges our application to adopt Mikiyas and the process is indeed happening. So good news!
Now, for the topic of how we've contributed to making a difference. A comment was posted on our entry regarding Liberia Adoptions, and it is only fair that I share it with you:
Michael Watts, Immigration Program Manager, Canadian High Commission, Accra has left a new comment on your post "Liberia Adoptions":
I do not ordinarily submit entries onto blogs; however, in view of the interest in this particular issue, and the justifiable concerns expressed by adoptive parents and other interested parties with respect to processing times I thought I would make an exception. The figure (21 months) that is quoted is from a form letter and is sufficiently misleading that I am in the process of having all of the Acknowledgement of Receipt form letters modified. The figure of 21 months is actually the time it took to process 80% of all dependant child applications processed in Accra in 2006. International adoption cases represent only a small percentage of this group. Most international adoption cases from Liberia have been processed within time frames of 2 to 6 weeks of receipt of all the documents at the High Commission (I checked myself each file number, application received, and visa issued date for every file submitted since August 2005 to confirm that this figure is correct). There are two cases which made it into the press where additional checks were required that delayed processing (to roughly 5 and 9 months respectively). We are concerned that there is the potential for trafficking of children. UNICEF, the US Embassy, even the adoption agencies themselves have warned us of the potential due to the lack of government controls. That is why we put the warning on the website. The vast majority of cases still proceed within the much shorter timeframes above. Within the greater “dependent child” group, because of widespread incidence of fraud many cases are complicated by the need to undertake DNA testing to establish relationship, bone density testing to establish age (we have large numbers of overage dependants often claiming to be in their early 20’s when they are clearly much older), and a large number of field investigations to check various birth and school records throughout the Ghana and the other eleven countries in the region covered by out office. The time required for these additional checks, in addition to other cases where we initially refused and the appeal is allowed (we re-open the case, but the original date of application is the “start” date for time in process purposes) are the factors that make the processing times seem so shockingly long. I hope this information is of help. Regards Michael Watts Immigration Program manager Canadian High Commission, Accra Accra.immigration@international.gc.ca
Posted by Michael Watts, Immigration Program Manager, Canadian High Commission, Accra to The Family Expansion at January 22, 2007 10:12 AM
Now, for the topic of how we've contributed to making a difference. A comment was posted on our entry regarding Liberia Adoptions, and it is only fair that I share it with you:
Michael Watts, Immigration Program Manager, Canadian High Commission, Accra has left a new comment on your post "Liberia Adoptions":
I do not ordinarily submit entries onto blogs; however, in view of the interest in this particular issue, and the justifiable concerns expressed by adoptive parents and other interested parties with respect to processing times I thought I would make an exception. The figure (21 months) that is quoted is from a form letter and is sufficiently misleading that I am in the process of having all of the Acknowledgement of Receipt form letters modified. The figure of 21 months is actually the time it took to process 80% of all dependant child applications processed in Accra in 2006. International adoption cases represent only a small percentage of this group. Most international adoption cases from Liberia have been processed within time frames of 2 to 6 weeks of receipt of all the documents at the High Commission (I checked myself each file number, application received, and visa issued date for every file submitted since August 2005 to confirm that this figure is correct). There are two cases which made it into the press where additional checks were required that delayed processing (to roughly 5 and 9 months respectively). We are concerned that there is the potential for trafficking of children. UNICEF, the US Embassy, even the adoption agencies themselves have warned us of the potential due to the lack of government controls. That is why we put the warning on the website. The vast majority of cases still proceed within the much shorter timeframes above. Within the greater “dependent child” group, because of widespread incidence of fraud many cases are complicated by the need to undertake DNA testing to establish relationship, bone density testing to establish age (we have large numbers of overage dependants often claiming to be in their early 20’s when they are clearly much older), and a large number of field investigations to check various birth and school records throughout the Ghana and the other eleven countries in the region covered by out office. The time required for these additional checks, in addition to other cases where we initially refused and the appeal is allowed (we re-open the case, but the original date of application is the “start” date for time in process purposes) are the factors that make the processing times seem so shockingly long. I hope this information is of help. Regards Michael Watts Immigration Program manager Canadian High Commission, Accra Accra.immigration@international.gc.ca
Posted by Michael Watts, Immigration Program Manager, Canadian High Commission, Accra to The Family Expansion at January 22, 2007 10:12 AM
3 comments:
That is wonderful news Sheri that you have received news from your application to adopt Mikiyas YEAH !!!!!
Its also wonderful about the commment that was placed on your other post!
Can't wait to hear more !
Lisa
I'm sure its good to hear something about where in the adoption process you are! Also good/interesting that this comment was posted! It's nice to see that opinions and concerns are actually taken seriously enough to be responded to.
Heather
Wow, surprising they actually went back and replied :) That's good stuff, impressive :) I'm curious how they found your blog though, if we all just emailed them directly. I guess you have it in your sig, maybe that's it. Anyway see you tonight!
Post a Comment