April 26, 2007

"Adopting is the new black"

Thanks to forum, we were all notified of a new t-shirt being produced by Urban Outfitters.

Adopting families have enough insulting questions and negative comments. A t-shirt like this, that a lot of teens will think is very cool because they get to "slam a star" is disgusting.

It simply implies that adopting is the latest trend. Like "pink is the new black" last year. This time it's adoption. Maybe for some people it is, but that does not open the door to something this distasteful.

Please join in to let them know this is not appropriate. Click here EMAIL to email them with your views. Or you can call 1 800 959 8794. In my letter to them, I advised that my shopping with them has stopped until this shirt is removed. Maybe that won't mean a lot, I'm just one person, but if others join, a difference can be made.

Apparently their response to someone else you complained was that "it was just a joke". I'm not sure many of us find humor in this.

[Thanks A. for posting the information on the forum!]

4 comments:

Louise said...

Just a joke...my gosh how can something so universally hurtful, demeaning, and rude be just a joke. This pains me to see it because I feel that we have come so far in raising the awareness of adoption.
I am glad to see they have removed it from their website...I hope they remove it from their stores!

Anonymous said...

I have also sent an email. It does make a difference to speak up!

esther said...

i can't BELIEVE what people think is funny!!?!?!?

i'm pretty ticked, and have let them know.

Anonymous said...

I think the T is off their site - now let's make sure we make a fuss if we see it in the stores.

Power to the parents!