November 16, 2008

Look out Alberta ... we're coming!

We're moving. Not just down the road or across town. We're moving far enough that we had not shared the news in case Lyle's boss found out. We couldn't breathe a word of it to anyone that might be associated with that place because there are "spies" so to speak. That place has found out things they should never have known and they'll use whatever they can to make things difficult. Lyle finished his last day on Friday, giving only a few days notice so not to deal with the wrath for too long. And wrath he did feel for the few days that remained. We do remember that it was a blessing Lyle had the job and it helped pay the bills, but we're also so fortunate that now Lyle is going to a terrific job with a future!

I, on the other hand, gave my heads up notice at the beginning of September, followed by an official 2 months notice at the beginning of October. Yes ... I like my boss and wanted to be nice. So I do see the end of the forever long days of work. I'm hopefully going to hold back from doing that again in my next career.

Lyle actually left yesterday for Calgary. He starts his new job on Monday. He'll be staying with family in Calgary, working hard, learning lots, arranging for a storage unit for all our stuff, checking out some houses etc.... then he'll come home on the 29th of November to help me finish up packing and load the big moving truck on December 1. Then we drive out. Two weeks without Lyle will be weird. I'm going to be a single mom, working, packing, and hopefully selling a house ... thanks to everyone who has so far offered to help me pack as I'm not in the best shape. I can fill the boxes, just can't move them.

So ... the questions:
When did we start thinking of moving to the Calgary area? We've thought about it many times over the years we've been married, and the plans to move this year have been set in motion since August.

Where exactly are we moving? Airdrie, Alberta. We were initially going to Calgary, but with Lyle's terrific job offer, we're going 10 minutes north of Calgary to Airdrie.

Why are we moving? Because God has directed us to do that.

How do we know it's God? Because every time we've tried to not make the move happen, He's shut the no door and opened another yes door. So many things have come together. Moving trucks volunteered, people being supportive that we thought would not be. Mikiyas' pure excitement and joy to move to Calgary when we thought he'd be horribly upset. Constant confirmations that this is what's meant for us. And more recently, Lyle obtaining an amazing job that has left us feeling so at peace. A job that has a future and a career path. We've been blessed. And, we've been offered, without even asking, a place to live free of charge until we have a house to move into. That's a real blessing since we have to keep making mortgage payments on our old place until it sells.

Do I have a job? Not yet, but I'm not too worried. I'm hoping to return to the work force in January. I'm actually hoping to do satellite legal assistant work from home. Last week my current employer and I began discussing the possibility of me continuing to work for him this way. I want to take December off work to try to get some rest as the last few months I've constantly been getting sick and have been quite run down. I need to give my shoulder a rest from life and really focus on getting it better too. I also want to spend some time with Mikiyas and find him the new preschool.

Have we sold our town house [now that it's finally done]? No, so please join forces in prayer that the right buyer comes along! That's a big need now.

Does Mikiyas really understand what's happening? Yes, we think he does. He's participating in packing [haha] and knows he won't see certain people for a long long time. He knows we won't have this house anymore, but has put in an order for an orange, red, blue and green room; a really, really big yard [we don't have one now] and he wants a dog. The other night he told me he wants a dog named Sophie just like Grandpa Tractor.

Will Mikiyas adjust? Yes, we think so. We're uprooting in one sense, but he'll adjust. When he came to Canada, he didn't even know us and he's pulled it off. This time, we're staying consistent with us still being here. And we also took him to Calgary and Airdrie in August to show him around and have him meet our friends and family there. He's very much excited. He's also excited about a new day care and new pre-school and new friends.

What does this mean for the adoption? Well ... we have to update all our paperwork. But that can't happen until we have our house lined up. So we really need to sell this house so we can buy a new house and get the paperwork rolling. The move won't actually delay us in our referral wait, unless a referral comes and the updated paperwork isn't complete. But time estimates show that we have lots of room on the calendar to move and get settled before the referral comes. Referrals are very slow right now so we should be okay, but selling this place is a necessity. With the slow market right now, we really need God to sell the house. All prayers will be very appreciated.

So Calgary and area readers ... we're coming your way. Look out!

12 comments:

Chad, Laura, Sara and Seth said...

Where are you moving from? Safe travels.

Laura

sas said...

How exciting!!

I am "de lurking" to officially welcome you to beautiful Alberta. I grew up in BC and now live in Lethbridge. (2 hours south of you) There are lots of families adopting/ or who have adopted from Ethiopia in the Calgary area. God's timing is perfect! It is always exciting to see how He works out the details.

Looking forward to maybe meeting you in person at a future Ethiopian gathering!

Sas

The Turgeon Expansion said...

This sounds like a move that is just supposed to happen in your lives and it'll be great! Happy packing :)

Rhonda

emily said...

Wow Sherri, this is so exciting! I'm really happy for you guys and will pray that you will be able to sell your townhouse. I think this sounds like a very good decision for your family. Now, get some rest!!! take care of yourself.
xoxo
emily

Tammy said...

Let me know when you get here and are settled in...there are tons of adoptive families in the area!

Welcome to Calgary!

Tammy

Laurie said...

Moving is so much work & to do it just before Christmas too is so much work. Hoping you sell your place quickly so you can buy your own home here soon.

Not sure how I found your blog a long time ago but I wanted to Welcome you to Calgary. There are lots of job opportunities here too.

Hugs, Laurie

Lesley said...

Sooooooooo, I'm not even linked as one of the blogs you follow?? I'm crushed. really.
See you next week....
L

Karen said...

Welcome to Calgary!

There is a growing community of families who have adopted from Ethiopia, and it would be great to meet you at an event someday.

Travel safely,

Karen

Anonymous said...

Wow...

Calgary is welcoming your family with open arms. Even though Vancouver is going to miss you guys deeply.

Even though we don't see each other as often as we wanted I guess it was more comforting to know that you guys were nearby.

We wish you guys all the best for your future and hope you get to where you are supposed to go safely.

I enjoyed following your journeys with you and will look forward to more updates on your blog.

Miss you already,
Nancy, Kevin, and Cassidy

(BIG HUGS)

Dolly said...

Wow! Big news! :) Congratulations - how exciting for you. Lots of changes too, but you will all adjust. I pray that your move and adjustment will go smoothly! All the best in AB!

jeremy and leah said...

We moved to victoria from Calgary (could it be already 7 years ago?). We loved living in Calgary and often think of going back. Some of my best memories and friends are still from there. It's a lot of work but it will be worth it!

Hopefully you will be in your new home for the holidays.

God bless,
Leah

Anonymous said...

Hi Sherri, I have followed your blog and your story for awhile now. We reside inCalgary as well! Welcome to Calgary and trust me, there is a great community here of fellow Ethio families.

Sherry, Darren, Chenoa, Trinity, Selam and Tigi