October 05, 2009

Where Am I Wearing?

Last week I finished a book titled "Where Am I Wearing?". I have to say, I enjoyed the read much more than I thought I would. I expected it to be more text-book like with too many stats and figures and the need to read with a dictionary on hand. Although there were stats, figures and a bit of historical information, it wasn't anything like that.

I've been the person who has thought about what I buy, both clothes and other items, and wondered where it was made and whether children were involved. But I've been the lazy thinker. To think of it is one thing. To actually read on it and then possibly change my ways, that's a whole nother thing I hadn't embraced.

Now, more than before, I'm not sure what to do. Before, I was unknown and lazy. Now I know and don't know which is better. I think I know, but it's for each reader and person to decide for themselves. I learned that although it may not be the best working conditions, compared to our Western standards, it is what saves the lives and families of millions of people. It is what helps bring a country out of poverty. It is what puts food on the table and provides medicine for the sick. It is what keeps people from working in places like garbage dumps for less money. Here's a small quote of many that I could write:

"It's true the workers are glad to have jobs even if they are only paid $50 a month. And they don't want you to boycott their products to protest their working conditions. (I asked.) But they would like to work less and get paid more." page 8

I learned that by the protests of the Western people [us], laws were made with respect to child labor in the course of making our clothes. However, these children need to work. So they move from one place and go work somewhere else ... usually the streets or dumps to pick through garbage that can be recycled. If these children don't work, they starve. So we took them from one job and put them back on the street. Hmm...

"Not having children make our clothes does not eliminate the reality that many children in Bangladesh must work, but eliminates our guilt in the matter. It clears our conscience and helps us forget that we live in such a world.

Does a mother who sends her eight-year-old daughter off for a day of picking up plastic bottles, or begging, or working in a factory love her daughter any less than a mother in the United States who sends her daughter to school? Is she being immoral? My own conclusion, after visiting Bangladesh, is that we should not be ashamed that our clothes are made by children so much as ashamed that we live in a world where child labor is often necessary for survival.

Child labor or not, the working conditions in Bangladesh's garment and textile industries are the living conditions of the country.

This is a culture of poverty." page 58

But the book continues on exploring different countries and factories. It was very intrigued reading about the garment industry in China. It wasn't so much about child labor, but labor on a whole and how that country is much different altogether. I can't think of just one quote, or one set of words to describe how the views are so much different there. I will leave that for you to read on your own.

I didn't end the book feeling justified and guilt free. There are still things to ponder and challenges made. I'm definitely more aware and will hopefully become a more engaged consumer as I continue to shop.

Check out Kelsey Timmerman's book and / or his website: www.whereamiwearing.com

3 comments:

Lisa said...

Oh my goodness. I have wondered many times when I read labels on clothes and what do we do about that?
I always try to buy locally grown/made food in the grocery stores. But then my friend from Mexico told me that her friends/relatives depend on their jobs with big name stores to get paid decent money. What can the consumer do?
I think I need to read that book next!

Keltie said...

Fascinating. I'll add it to my list of things to read. :-)

Kelsey said...

Thanks for the kind words about my book. I came across an awesome post from the daughter of a garment worker in Indonesia. Here's what she wrote about her mom:

"She made the difficult and utterly humiliating decision of taking a job at a garment factory – a sweatshop by any other name – which was all that an uneducated woman like her could get. She earned the below subsistence levels that sweatshops are known for, worked the long grueling hours, faced harming herself, was injured a few times and forced to keep on working. All so that her four year old child could drink milk, so that her older children could continue to attend school, so that we would have a place to live."

Here's the link to the whole post: http://www.hhrights.ca/blog/?p=91

I'm hoping to have her do a guest post on my blog in the near future. I think it's really important to look at these issues in context and who better to put it into context.

Lisa and Gaunt Family, let me know what you think after you read it. I love hearing from readers.

Thanks!

Kelsey