December 31, 2010

Confession Friday

I confess that...

... it appears I only do blog posts for Confession Fridays now.  I just don't have anything to write about.  It's disappointing.  But, no one reads this anyway...

... I haven't done a Christmas blog post and in 1 hour and 45 minutes we'll be into 2011.  Whoops.

... we found out on Tuesday that our Expedition needed a lot of work.  Enough work that it would cost more to fix it than we would get if we sold it fixed.  So, wanting to put some feelers out there and see how the market was, we listed it on kijiji with a high price late Tuesday night.  We were in no rush to sell as we had not planned to sell it, had no back up vehicle, no money for a new vehicle and the seating in the Expedition was needed for dayhome the following week.  

... panicked a little when less than twelve hours later the Expedition was sold. 

... the speed of which things happened with vehicles this week barely left room for snacking on Christmas chocolates and baking, but I managed to fit that in too.

... cried in the General Manager's office of Honda when he put together the most amazing deal for us for a used Acura MDX, fully loaded beyond anything I could dream.  It does help that Lyle works there [for all of three weeks].

... I packed up Christmas before New Years this year.  

... I felt really odd watching my six-year-old buy himself cologne and deodorant from the Body Shop with some of his Christmas money.  Seriously, it's what he really wanted.  And he truly understood it meant less money in his wallet for toys, which was fine because he doesn't really play with toys anyway.

... For the last three and a half years I've wished I could figure out a way to get my son to play with toys.  I go through stages of accepting that he just doesn't.  But sometimes I wish he would.  Quite frankly though, it has probably saved us loads of money.

... I was so proud of my son for saying "Yes" when the cashier at The Body Shop asked if he'd like to make a $5.00 donation to stop child trafficking.  In exchange he got 30% off his purchase, but he didn't get that part.  He just wanted to help the kids.

... My sweet cat Carmin has survived Christmas and will make it through New Years.  I am delighted and relieved. 

... I am continuing to read "The Secret Daughter" although I find it tedious.  Many ladies that are not touched by adoption tell me it's a wonderful story, but I'm not finding that.  I find it just a story with odd happenings.  It moves too fast.  Some language is wrong.  But the author was adopted so perhaps some of it is reality for her, although it's fiction.  Perhaps it's "wonderfulness" will come.  Have any of you adoptive mom's read it and can share your thoughts? 

... I am entering into 2011 with peace and contentment.  I am so proud of and always amazed with my son.  I am so proud of and in love with my husband.  I am excited to receive a referral and hopefully go to Ethiopia this year.  I am back to enjoying my work and homeschooling, even though it can be exhausting.  I miss many friends from BC, but am blessed to be growing new relationships here.  I am in awe of God's faithfulness and never-ending grace.

1 comment:

june said...

Ok I'm super late commenting here... but I was "meh" about The Secret Daughter as well. And I don't think the author was adopted... her background/inspiration for the book was when she volunteered in an orphanage, if I remember correctly. I don't want to spoil the ending if you haven't finished it yet, but I'll just say I found the resolution, well, underwhelming.

Also, none of your last posts showed up in my feed reader until tonight - so now I will go catch up. :)