June 28, 2011

Calgary Metro News

Boy, 6, wants to bring clean water to Ethiopia


Katie Turner/Metro
Mikiyas Hatton, 6, wants to prevent kids from dying from 
unsanitary water in his home country of Ethiopia.
KATIE TURNER
METRO CALGARY
Published: June 28, 2011

Mikiyas Hatton may be young, but he knew from the age of four that he wanted to help children in his home country of Ethiopia.

Sheri Hatton, Mikiyas’s adopted mom, said she and her husband, Lyle, took their son to a fundraiser for HOPE International two years ago and something stuck with him.

“I said we need to go help them and we need to go help the kids,” said Mikiyas, now 6.

“For the next month he hounded me,” explained Sheri, adding Mikiyas wanted to send their tap water from Airdrie to Ethiopia.

“I was proud that he cared for people back home,” said Lyle. “He does have a compassionate heart, and it’s nice to see him act upon it.”

Shortly after, Sheri said she looked in to partnering with HOPE International to raise $25,000 for a water system for an entire village.

“I went to him and said, ‘This is what we’re going to do because of you,’ and he started crying,” said Sheri of her son’s reaction. “He said, ‘We’re superheroes.’”

Since then, the Hatton’s have raised nearly $17,000 through fundraising and HOPE has gone ahead with sponsoring the permanent water system.

The family will travel to Ethiopia this winter to bring home their adopted daughter Mihret, and potentially visit the village they’ve helped bring life to.

2 comments:

Sharla said...

So much to be proud of in that boy! Loved when an article highlights something/someone positive.

Anonymous said...

Hi Sheri,
Thanks for sending the link to the article. It brought tears to my eyes.
Rod and I have attended fundraisers for HOPE many times and I cry during each video presentation. You guys are an inspiration to me.
I'm happy to hear that you are planning to bring your daughter home this winter - that must be so exciting! I hope life in Alberta is going well for you and there is plenty of work.
Lots of love,
Ann