We've been questioned throughout our adoption process "Why?" and "What made you want to adopt?" Well, I will try my best to answer that, without sounding too defensive.
Each day I look at the pictures of Mikiyas and I smile. Sometimes tears fill my eyes. Sometimes I just grin ear to ear. I think of him every day. I think of the future. I see him in our home. I feel him in my arms. I dream of hearing his voice. I picture seeing him with Lyle. And each day my heart hurts, longing to have him home. Each day I miss him more and more. I'm missing another moment. I'm missing another day of his life.
Since his referral I've had an itch to move again. I've only been in this house for a little over a year. I think it's because it no longer feels like home. My heart isn't in it anymore. It's with Mikiyas.
Adoption is a choice. Yes, maybe we have had some pregnancy issues in the past. But don't forget, we did get the green light to have biological children. They do figure they know what's wrong. But there's still that risk I'll get horribly sick again and have another miscarriage. But then the question is, isn't that worth it for your child? Yes, I agree it can be.
Adoption was a dream, possibly more so for me than Lyle, but we decided to move forward with it together. It began many years ago. It was a seed God planted at an early age for me. It is a way to form a family; a way we have chosen.
If it was so important for us to have that a biological child - that blood link - do you not think we would have done fertility drugs or in-vitro? It's not like those options are not in the same financial league as adoption. A blood link isn't what makes a family. It is hearts being united that make a family. It is the connection. Just think of the number of people you have said "he was like a brother to me" or "they're like family". Yet they look nothing like you. They don't share your blood line. Even in-laws are family - a hard pill for some of you to swallow. One definition off the internet says a family is "a domestic group of people".
For those of you have not or will not be adopting, and for those who plan to adopt but question whether you can love a non-biological child as if it were "your own", YOU CAN!! To be honest, I had questioned it early on in the adoption process too. It was a soon-to-pass fear that I wouldn't love my adopted child like I would if he/she were biological. Here's reality for you skeptics: There is no difference in loving a biological child or loving an adopted child unless you make up a difference! That in itself is a choice.
My step-dad loves me unconditionally. That was, and continues to be, his choice. He could have treated me and my brother differently than his biological son - my step-brother. He could have been my worst nightmare. Instead he chose to love me and share a piece of his heart with me. Do I doubt his words ... never.
I used to explain what happens after a miscarriage. About feeling complete with your spouse until you begin experiencing a love you never knew existed when you become pregnant. Then, having it taken away to leave a hole in your heart. Having a love that was going nowhere. Well, adoption really can fill that hole. Now my love is bubbling over and I can only trust that God is sharing it with Mikiyas every day. I have allowed my love for my adopted child to naturally spill over the sides of the largest cup in the world. I choose to love rather than simply accept Mikiyas as a second best child.
As someone today wrote to me, adoption is so rewarding ... and addicting. Giving birth and adoption are miracles each in their own way. Now Lyle and I can't decide what we want to do about a possible baby number two. Again, we can choose to adopt or go the biological route. Can you guess where our hearts are leaning?
So instead of asking adoptive families WHY, become an advocate for such a wonderful miracle.
Each day I look at the pictures of Mikiyas and I smile. Sometimes tears fill my eyes. Sometimes I just grin ear to ear. I think of him every day. I think of the future. I see him in our home. I feel him in my arms. I dream of hearing his voice. I picture seeing him with Lyle. And each day my heart hurts, longing to have him home. Each day I miss him more and more. I'm missing another moment. I'm missing another day of his life.
Since his referral I've had an itch to move again. I've only been in this house for a little over a year. I think it's because it no longer feels like home. My heart isn't in it anymore. It's with Mikiyas.
Adoption is a choice. Yes, maybe we have had some pregnancy issues in the past. But don't forget, we did get the green light to have biological children. They do figure they know what's wrong. But there's still that risk I'll get horribly sick again and have another miscarriage. But then the question is, isn't that worth it for your child? Yes, I agree it can be.
Adoption was a dream, possibly more so for me than Lyle, but we decided to move forward with it together. It began many years ago. It was a seed God planted at an early age for me. It is a way to form a family; a way we have chosen.
If it was so important for us to have that a biological child - that blood link - do you not think we would have done fertility drugs or in-vitro? It's not like those options are not in the same financial league as adoption. A blood link isn't what makes a family. It is hearts being united that make a family. It is the connection. Just think of the number of people you have said "he was like a brother to me" or "they're like family". Yet they look nothing like you. They don't share your blood line. Even in-laws are family - a hard pill for some of you to swallow. One definition off the internet says a family is "a domestic group of people".
For those of you have not or will not be adopting, and for those who plan to adopt but question whether you can love a non-biological child as if it were "your own", YOU CAN!! To be honest, I had questioned it early on in the adoption process too. It was a soon-to-pass fear that I wouldn't love my adopted child like I would if he/she were biological. Here's reality for you skeptics: There is no difference in loving a biological child or loving an adopted child unless you make up a difference! That in itself is a choice.
My step-dad loves me unconditionally. That was, and continues to be, his choice. He could have treated me and my brother differently than his biological son - my step-brother. He could have been my worst nightmare. Instead he chose to love me and share a piece of his heart with me. Do I doubt his words ... never.
I used to explain what happens after a miscarriage. About feeling complete with your spouse until you begin experiencing a love you never knew existed when you become pregnant. Then, having it taken away to leave a hole in your heart. Having a love that was going nowhere. Well, adoption really can fill that hole. Now my love is bubbling over and I can only trust that God is sharing it with Mikiyas every day. I have allowed my love for my adopted child to naturally spill over the sides of the largest cup in the world. I choose to love rather than simply accept Mikiyas as a second best child.
As someone today wrote to me, adoption is so rewarding ... and addicting. Giving birth and adoption are miracles each in their own way. Now Lyle and I can't decide what we want to do about a possible baby number two. Again, we can choose to adopt or go the biological route. Can you guess where our hearts are leaning?
So instead of asking adoptive families WHY, become an advocate for such a wonderful miracle.
7 comments:
What a great post!! It is such a good feeling to know that other people feel the same way as we do about adoption. I wholeheartedly agree with you about how families are formed by love & not just by blood.
Lisa W
Hi Sheri
I think you took the words out of my mouth, Keith and I are in a very similar circumstance. I have felt that about adoption and I cannot fathom feeling like an adopted child would be any different than biological. I have said a lot of the same words to others as you. Thanks for being such a fabulous advocate for adoption! This world needs more people like you!
sincerely, Amber
"I used to explain what happens after a miscarriage. About feeling complete with your spouse until you begin experiencing a love you never knew existed when you become pregnant. Then, having it taken away to leave a hole in your heart. Having a love that was going nowhere. "
I used to explain it this way. I thought I was happy before kids. I blew half of my income on toys for myself and I could do and go anywhere I wanted. But my happiness reached only the roof. I had no idea that above my roof of happiness was a whole sky of happiness! Kids are a limitless supply of joy and happiness!
Have a God day!
Mike M
Well said Sheri and Lyle!!!
May your family be united soon!!!
Nancy
the "hole" in my heart is filling up too - and I LOVE IT!!
i too, am so grateful that adoption has become an option for us!! i would be miserable without it. it has given us so much joy and hope...
great post Sheri!!
It's going to be so cool to see your whole family together :)
What a great way of describing it.
I was crying when I read the part about miscarriage, because I feel the same way but I never knew how to explain it. Hopefully one day, I can fill my "hole" too.
- Liane
Post a Comment