December 10, 2006

Happy Birthday Mikiyas!

Yesterday [Dec 9] I was walking down the hall of our home and I stopped. I just stood there for about 5 seconds before the tears came. Lyle was near so he held me. He knew what was wrong without asking.

Today [Dec 10] Mikiyas turns one. We are missing our son's first birthday. It's funny because we talked about this with our social worker almost a year ago. We didn't want to miss our child's first birthday, so we asked that our papers request a child under eight months [under twelve months at time of placement]. We know that there are many more birthdays to come that we can be a part of. But we didn't expect to miss this one.

At no matter what age, when you picture your future family, it's not something you plan for. "I'm going to marry a person like this. I hope to be married by that age. We'll have two kids. I'd like to adopt at least one of them. Oh, and I think we should miss his/her first steps, first words, and first birthday!"

But... I know God has chosen us for Mikiyas and Mikiyas for us. He is already so perfect for us.

So Happy Birthday Mikiyas! We love you so much. We can't wait to bring you home. We may not see you, but we are with you and thinking of you continually.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am SOOOOO happy for you guys!! Congrats!! (and a happy belated birthday to your son!!!) you, lyle and your mikiyas are in my prayers

lawrence

Anonymous said...

Well, there is certainly nothing wrong with celebrating a birthday a few months after the fact... he will never know, plus I'm sure he won't be having the birthday party that you guys will throw for him.

Fiona

Anonymous said...

Congratulations on moving forward with Mikiya. We saw his picture and WOW! What a cutie. May the Lord continue to guide you right through to the next beginning if you know what I mean.
Blessings again
Uncle Rick

Lisa, Pierre, Marika,Karelle, Yakim, Tarik and Zavier said...

Its so great to see you posts about Mikiyas Sheri !! I'm soo happy for you guys and that you have your refferal. I know it must have been hard not to be with your son for his first birthday.

Our thoughts are with you and we have our fingers crossed for a speedy travel time !

Lisa & Pierre

Anonymous said...

Whatever it takes, through land, sea or air, your love for Mikiyas will reach him. Through the prayers of many and God's loving care he will be kept safe and be brought into the loving arms of the two of you. May time pass quickly till he is home with you, I am looking so forward to seeing his smile and hearing his laughter. Mom/Grandma

Sarah said...

Way to make me cry, Sheri! I know the wanting firsthand... get him home quick!

Anonymous said...

Hi Sheri and Lyle!
I just wanted to let you know how happy we are for you two!! I was totally shocked by the referral announcement and was practically weeping tears of joy! And Mikiyas is a truly fantastic name! Happy birthday to him, and I get how sad it is for you to miss it - but who says you can't throw him a 1year/welcome home party when he gets here??!! I'm sure this has completely changed your outlook on life lately, so I'm hoping you are doing well.
Lisa

Anonymous said...

Being a divorced father, I know what it is like to not be there on the day of your kid's b-day. :-(

Have a God day!
Mike M

Anonymous said...

Hi,
we found your blog, searching for that Third Day song you posted. Reading your blog, brought tears to my eyes. And even though I don't know you, I'm very exited for you. I just had a miscarriage in September and for us adoption has always been something we want to do. We have not given up hope yet to have our own (even though I have diabetes which makes things harder) but even if we have our own, we want to adopt if God opens that door for us. And finding your blog has been one little sign. So we might have some questions in the future, if thats alright!

Praying for you
Liane