February 12, 2007

FAITH GIVING HOPE ... but what if ...

I’ve been told I’m a strong person, both physically and mentally. I’ve been through numerous trials in my life. I’ve had my large share of hurt, pain and loss. Sometimes I brought it on myself in hopes of taking it away from someone else. If I could be greedy in taking pain away from others, I would. And I’ve always tried to reach the end of the storm with a story to share; a story that could encourage and bring hope to someone else. I continue to pray that God uses my difficult experiences to benefit other people. God has never let me down. He’s always been faithful to answer that. This helps me see a purpose even with the hardest trials.

Throughout the adoption Lyle and I have been an awesome team. When one of us is sad, or frustrated, the other has always been there to encourage. When there’s been a negative feeling, the other is there with the positive. We’ve not let each other down. Until this weekend.

It’s not like we got horrible news on Friday. We just boiled over. We both hit a low at the same time. We tried to encourage each other when we could. There would be moments of laughter and fun. Then all of a sudden, there’d be anger and tears. Neither of us meant anything at each other. The stress just boiled over. It’d last a short time and we’d be back to laughing and enjoying life. Then it’d start all over again, the vicious circle seemed never ending

Saturday night as I was home alone briefly, I found myself staring at a pot of boiling water that slowly spit water over the sides. I wanted the pot to just stop. I wanted the noise to stop. I wanted the water to stay in. I wanted the pot to control the water.

And my inner pot boiled over. I broke down in tears.

At first I didn’t know how to write this blog. I didn’t know how to share what was happening. Too many words were going through my head. Nothing big was happening so why all the frustration all of a sudden? How do I share that something little hit us so hard? Maybe I shouldn’t share. We’ve been so strong for so long. We’ve been through worse. Why now? Maybe I shouldn’t show that we do have weakness.

I talked to my mom late Sunday night. This is what she wrote as a mother watching her daughter:

The term of expectation was long, very long
Disappointment was the experience of the past, time and time again
The end and new beginning was far from sight
And a part of your very being was so far away, you couldn’t touch it.

What would you feel?

You are busy. Busy making sure your house is in order, the paperwork complete and all the unending questions answered…there, now everyone is looked after, everyone but you.

“What’s this I am feeling? Why don’t you understand? Why don’t you let me do what I think is best? Why are you trying to manage my life, my future? Why do you even think I need your help? Why do you insist on making the easy parts difficult? Why do I have to cook supper tonight, go to the store, get gas in the car or even make the bed? Why are these things feeling so huge? Why is my pot of emotion coming to a boil?”

Isn’t that what most pots do when the heat is applied? Heat in this case being the everyday stress of life.

I am proud of you both for standing strong and sure over the years as tests and trials have come your way. I know that most expectant parents deal with uncertainties but the two of you have faced some extremes and I know many other adoptive parents do too.

My advice to you is to continue in your journey taking one day at a time and fit into your schedule time to let go of the stuff, yes stuff that keeps being thrown into the pot to deal with later. Don’t let it pile up and become something it isn’t. It may not appear important now and that’s why it gets tossed in. But left to accumulate, it later rises to something it’s not. Cry when you need to, then wipe away the tears; be sad if you have to and then tell someone who cares. If you need a hug ask for one, someone will always be there.

It is a wonderful process that you are sharing with all of us and you are a blessing to many with your honesty and insight. We are all very grateful to be a part of your lives. You are enabling us all to understand this walk that many take. Be confident that there is a light at the end of the tunnel and you are one of its rays!!

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

There are guys like me that lurk around in your blog and never having the need to post anything until now. When I see my friends in pain and almost suffering through this whole adoption process, it worries me. It worries me that every minute of every day you are in constant anticipation of any news from the agencies involved and that you are constantly disappointed that another day has passed and nothing has come about. It worries me that you are in this state of depression. It worries me that there doesn't seem to be any more enjoyment in your life.
I ask myself, is this all worth it? I am not the one to answer that question nor am I in no position to even come close to an answer,.. but I felt the need for that question to be asked. I can say that God will be there and will guide you to your answers but that's already been said in these blogs numerous times. All I know is that the two of you have strenght and perseverance that I have not seen in other people.. yet I am saddened to see you get beaten and beaten down through this whole process.

ps. I know you will get to review this before you have it posted. I'll leave it up to you to decide whether it's appropriate for everyone to see.

Eli

Lesley said...

Hi there,

I know exactly what you're talking about and it is hard to describe the emotions. It is hard to "keep on keeping on".
Please know that your mum is right, there are people you can talk to, people that care...we're only a phone call away!
Maybe some of this is to do with the fact that L is in Ethiopia right now? And you were hoping to be there too.
Hopefully we'll see you on Saturday and I would love to catch up and spend some time...
Love Lesley

Amy B. said...

Thank you for the comment you left on my blog page. I am not one that subscribes to the idea that everything happens for a reason (I think sometimes things happen just because of the messed up world we live in). However, God is with us through our pain...he hurts with us. He loves your little boy and he loves you. You both will be in my prayers. I can tell, just from reading your blog that you have such a mother's heart (not all moms have that!)

Anonymous said...

Great post :) You're human and talking about it's the right thing to do! Your mom's very insightful. Total honesty isn't very "sexy" or "macho" but it's what real relationships need :)

Louise said...

Hey Sheri
Know that i am here if you want to talk. I am thinking of you and Lyle often.
This week too was a difficult one for me ....the frustration of all of it just coming to ahead. I know I haven't even begun to feel the frustration yet of what you are experiencing.
I am praying that things keep moving along and that you get Mikiyas home soon.
Louise

Anonymous said...

Sheri - I enjoy reading your blog so much. Your honesty is touching. What a beautiful letter your mother wrote, you obviously are an incredible family and Mikiyas will have such a loving home to come home to.
Tracey (Vancouver)

esther said...

a powerful post for MANY powerful emotions...
what a blessing - thinking of you guys!!!

Anonymous said...

Hi Sheri,

Although we've never met, I can tell that you are an amazing person. This whole process tests our strength & patience. I think everyone has their difficult moments, maybe without even really knowing why. I guess that's why 'emotional rollercoaster' is such a good description of an adoption process. I just had a really low day yesterday. I was feeling like it's going to take forever until we get our next baby..... I know it will happen, because it has happened, but try explaining that to my emotions sometimes!!!

Great post! I hope you get to hold Mikiyas VERY soon!
Lisa (from Regina)

Sarah said...

Awww.. Sheri....
HUGS!
Can't wait to see you on Saturday. Get that son of yours home quick!

Anonymous said...

Blessings from the US. I've been reading your blog for months. You're a few steps ahead of my husband and I. We're waiting for "the call." I imagine when we do get the call they'll be a release of emotion that has built up throughout the process. Your blog has helped me and inspired me to start a blog. http://nemo-nema.blogspot.com/
Remember, "Do you not know? Have you not heard? The Lord is the everlasting God, the Creator of the ends of the earth. He will not grow tired or weary, and his understanding no one can fathom. He gives strength to the weary and increases the power of the weak. even youths grow tired and weary, and young men stumble and fall; but those who hop in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, the will walk and not be faint." Isaiah 40:28-31