February 26, 2007

Is no news really good news?

My answer to that? Not really. I prefer to have news. No news means nothing is happening. Having news that still says nothing is happening? Just as frustrating, but at least I know.

So Friday we inquired as to what was happening. There was no news on the file. It appears we seem to have the backwards file.

Simultaneously, an application is made for a court date for the adoption finalization, and paperwork is started for immigration, including an appointment is made for the good doctor to prepare a medical report. Usually the court date occurs first, or at least you get assigned the court date. This generally takes 2 to 8 weeks [we're at 13 weeks now]. Either during the wait for or after the court date, the medical appointment and report is completed and sent to Immigration in Nairobi. They will either disapprove or approve that the child's health is of Canadian standards. Sometimes, people actually get a letter from Nairobi with a file number that applies to your adoption, advising that things are being processed. The letter can be so delayed that a lot of people don't even get the letter.

For us, things go backwards. We first received our letter from Nairobi with our file number. This happened on January 22, 2007. Then, we had the medical appointment / report completed on February 12, 2007. This has apparently already been sent to Nairobi and on this occasion, yes - no news is good news. If they do not request further information, that means Mikiyas has passed the review. I don't know when the cut off is to breathe easy that the review is actually completed with approval. But the file would then sit and wait for the adoption paperwork to come through. Then a visa can be issued.

Now the court date. First things happen last. Today's inquiry has shown us that the "Contract of Adoption" is what is holding us up. It is needed in order for our Power of Attorney to even apply for a court date. The Contract of Adoption comes from the orphanage. They have assured our POA that she should have this by next week. The court registry has advised that court dates are approximately a three week wait AFTER an application is made for one.

That means in another four weeks we should have a court date. But that doesn't mean we travel right away. It takes another three to four weeks after the court date for the paperwork to be finalized and that wonderful little visa to be issued out of Nairobi for us to bring Mikiyas home.

So does that mean we might possibly, maybe, in the slightest, if there's no hiccups, go in two very long months?! Maybe. God willing.

I Will Bring the Victory

Thanks be to God,
who gives us the victory
through our Lord Jesus Christ.
1 Corinthians 15:57

O My child, have I ever failed you? Have I ever turned My back on you, or forsaken you? Have I not been your refuge and your strong defense?

I have protected you and kept you in sickness and in health. Yes, I am with you to help you now. Fear not. My purposes will be fulfilled in spite of your weaknesses, if in your need you rely on My strength.

My will shall be done regardless of the flaws in your life, if you count on the power of My righteousness. I do not work only in cases where there are no obstacles; but I glory in overruling the prevailing circumstances, and I take pleasure in bringing victories in those places where no victory is anywhere is sight...

Ask for My victory. I will come and bring it. Don't look for the victory - look for Me, and you will see the victory that I will bring with Me. After I have come, you shall behold the miracles I will do.

[Roberts, Frances J. Come Away My Beloved 2002 pages 56 - 57]

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

We will be praying that you will be seeing your Mikiyas in 2 months...if not sooner!!

Anonymous said...

Sheri and Lyle. I know this has been a painfully slow process, as I've watched you patiently wait for the promise you're believing in to come true. But it will. I know it! A verse I've come to love is Psalm 18:30. It says "God's way is perfect. All the Lord's promises prove true". They will always prove true. I know it. As you watch, the painful process now will one day become worth more than gold. Keep believing.

Jenny

Anonymous said...

We will continue praying for Mikiyas and that God keeps him safe, well and secure in Him. We know that God is molding him into the little one that will fill your home with joy and happiness very soon. Counting the days with you, love mom and dad