May 07, 2008

Compassion Sponsor Child

A few months ago I was contacted by Compassion Canada about doing an article for their magazine regarding our visit to meet Yisakor, one of our sponsor children. I hadn't thought much about it after the initial interview, until yesterday.

Lyle got home before I did to let me know the magazine came in the mail. This was shortly followed by another phone call from Lyle telling me that an elderly man called thanking us for our story. By the time I got home from Mikiyas' swimming lessons, more calls had come, including some asking about the photography I did in Ethiopia.

It was really neat for me to read the article. It brought back a lot of the emotions I felt when we met Yisakor for the first time. It truly was an amazing experience.

I have had sponsor children in my life since I was 9 years old, the same time I decided that one day I would adopt. I thank my mom for allowing me, and instilling in me, the drive to make my dreams come true. Meeting Yisakor was one of my dreams becoming reality.

For me [and for Lyle], child sponsorship is not something we take lightly. We extend our hearts and our lives to these children, and their families, just as they have entrusted their lives to us. We are excited that we will be returning to Ethiopia [hopefully next year] to see Yisakor and his family again.

So now we encourage you all to consider child sponsorship [it doesn't have to be through Compassion]. And if you do, take the time to write to your child and let their dreams come true. Give them the opportunity to feel hope amidst the chaos of their lives. Not everyone can visit a child, and that's not what sponsorship is about anyway, but everyone can write a couple sentences, or send a photograph, or send a colored pictures. Enjoy your sponsor children as much as they enjoy you.

5 comments:

Ranavan said...

Thanks for this post - we are going to sponsor a child and are just trying to decide who we will sponsor thru!

Your recommendation along with Ricki's is sort of making it easy for us to choose. We really want to be able to meet our sponsor child and can thru Compassion which is so fantastic.

Tanya said...

This is a great post and a beautiful article!
I had always wanted to sponsor a child since I was litle, but waited until I was a grown up to do it. It is now a family thing with me and my daughter.

The Warren Family said...

Hey guys,
before I even checked your blog tonight my husband brought home the compassion newsletter from work today (someone gave it to him because they thought he might be interested). When I opened it up I thought hey I recognize those faces!! How cool is that!! I really enjoyed reading about your visit with your compassion child (-:
We are sponsoring a child through CHOIR and are really excited to meet him when we travel, what a neat opportunity!!

Karen said...

We recently signed up to sponsor a child in Ethiopia through Compassion, and just received our first magazine. How neat to recognize your names (from the message board), and read your story! It made me all weepy too. Thanks for sharing your experience!

Karen

Ramona said...

Our family has been wanting to sponsor a child in Ethio for a year now, and after reading your blog, we talked again about this and I just made the call and we are also sponsoring a girl in Ethiopia now too!
Ramona