September 29, 2010

Can't Love Them

I went out for dinner the other night with a friend from college.  We did some reminiscing and updated each other on our mutual friends, old roommates and such.  We went to college 14 years ago!  Wow.

One of our mutual friends we had both run into at different times, her more recently than I.  When I had last spoken to them, they were struggling with infertility and looking at adoption.  I emailed them a ton of stuff, but then never heard from them.  I have now been updated that they still do not have children, and won't be adopting either.  Reason?  They cannot love them like their own.

Right there I no longer felt sorry for them.  At that instant I was thankful they didn't go through it.  But then, after more thought, I was feeling sorry for them again, mostly because they can't experience what I do everyday.  At least they "admitted" it, for lack of a better word, and didn't do adoption just for the sake of having children when they knew deep down they could never love them like their own.

I've posted before about loving adopted children enough.  Four years ago, before having any children, I wrote this:

A blood link isn't what makes a family. It is hearts being united that make a family. It is the connection. Just think of the number of people you have said "he was like a brother to me" or "they're like family". Yet they look nothing like you. They don't share your blood line. Even in-laws are family - a hard pill for some of you to swallow. One definition off the internet says a family is "a domestic group of people".

For those of you have not or will not be adopting, and for those who plan to adopt but question whether you can love a non-biological child as if it were "your own", YOU CAN!! To be honest, I had questioned it early on in the adoption process too. It was a soon-to-pass fear that I wouldn't love my adopted child like I would if he/she were biological. Here's reality for you skeptics: There is no difference in loving a biological child or loving an adopted child unless you make up a difference! That in itself is a choice.

My step-dad loves me unconditionally. That was, and continues to be, his choice. He could have treated me and my brother differently than his biological son - my step-brother. He could have been my worst nightmare. Instead he chose to love me and share a piece of his heart with me. Do I doubt his words ... never.

It is a question that comes to mind for pretty much all adoptive parents at one time.  It's a rollercoaster of an adventure, and when nerves hit you do wonder those things.

Loving adoptive children is an amazing and beautiful gift.  I can't actually imagine loving my child more than I do.  I can't imagine knowing a more profound love.  Granted, I don't have biological children to personally compare with, but I am a biological child and a step-child.  I am a receiver of biological and non-biological parental love.  I can't see, feel or determine any difference. 

But, if you really know deep down that you can't do it.  That's it's too drastic of a comparison for children for you.  That you would always look at the child and think "You're not really mine" than definitely don't do it.  And thank you for admitting it and not doing it.  As much as there's always children needing roofs over their heads, more importantly, those children need love.  They don't deserve to grow up in a loveless house.  I knew a family, although I haven't seen them for years, where the dad consciously chose not to love his step-daughter the same as his biological child.  It was disgusting.  And he verbalized it no matter who was there.  Knowing we were adopting, he said some things he strongly felt, but we were disgusted with.  The friendship ended there.  But he honestly thought the step-daughter would never know the difference.  HELLO! THEY KNOW!!  They feel it.  They see it.  They hear it.  They know!  We saw sadness in her eyes every time we saw her.  Her eyes were missing a spark.  She was alone in her world. 

So thank you to all those step-parents, foster parents and other styles of parents, who embrace their non-biological children as their own.  They can all be a very difficult roads.  Thank you to those of you who don't compare; who don't have strings attached; who love all your children as your own, just as God has chosen to love all His children as his own!

9 comments:

Connie said...

Wow, very well said! There's a retired couple in my extended family who never had children. They looked at adoption briefly, but decided they couldn't accept an adopted child as their own. Growing up, I thought that was a very normal way to feel about adoption. But now that we've adopted I rethink how they felt about adoption... and wonder how anybody could ever feel that way.

Anonymous said...

YES! And AMEN! And may I link this to my blog?

Love,

Tova

Keltie said...

It is so hard for people like us to understand that perspective, isn't it??? Thank you for sharing friend.

Curly Mama said...

Very nicely written,
I hope you are hanging in there, approaching the 30 month mark quickly as well!

emily said...

Great post Sheri. I completely agree with you. As much as children need homes, they need LOVE more.

Almost has me inspired to write a post now.... almost....!

Ranavan said...

Beautifully written Sheri!!

hazel said...

Well said! Some people lead such limited lives; it's really a shame. But I agree, it's good those people recognized their limits before hurting an innocent child.

I know I couldn't love a biologicial child any more than I love Biset. My love for her eclipses everything else in my life - past, present, and future.

andrea said...

I don't have a personal step-parent example, but I was an exchange student and I think that is one of the reasons why I have never given a second thought to this question. Half way around the world I have another family: a mom, a dad and a sister who took me into their home, their lives and their hearts and have never let me go. It doesn't matter that we aren't connected by genetics, history or culture. In our year together we became a forever family. Forever, I am theirs and they are mine... and I cannot wait to add my children to the mix. Thanks for this post and the chance to share my own thoughts/experience. A

Janice said...

I find it so sad that some people have those feelings.
To each his own of course but there are so many kids that are longing for a family and longing for love. I don't have my daughter home from E. yet but I already lover her just like I love my biological children.