October 06, 2010

Back in Session

The Courts in Ethiopia have re-opened.  We are pleased to know that there will be Canadian families, specifically with CAFAC, now starting to go through court dates in person.  This means we aren't one of the first to experience.  CAFAC and future families can learn from those going this month forward.  So I big SHOUT-OUT of THANKS to those first families enduring this step for all of us.  We wish you all the best.

Courts re-opening is also good news because once court approvals go through, visas etc. can be issues and then children can be picked up.  Once children are united with their forever families, more room will be had in the CAFAC foster home, meaning more kids can be brought in and referred to waiting families.  We are, of course, one of the many waiting families.  

So what's our status?

Our dossier went May of 2008.  There are eleven dossiers waiting for referrals that went before May 2008.  In May 2008, there are still nine of us waiting.  Ours went in a large batch on May 31 so it's hard to say what number we are on the list, but it doesn't matter anyway.  People are often skipped depending on child requests.

How long have we been waiting now?  I seriously have to think and count twice to be sure now.  It's too insane.  I can't believe I have to count that high.  

We are almost three years since we started this second adoption.  SERIOUSLY!  And we are over twenty-eight months in waiting for the referral.  So much for that eighteen month estimate!  I feel really sorry for the family on the wait list that I keep seeing: Dossier to Ethiopia: August 2007.  Whoever you are, we feel so bad for you!  Hugs to you.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh honey bunch,

This is just insane. For all the families. I just don't get it. I mean I get it logically, but my heart doesn't get it.

Hugs, hugs, hugs to you.

Tova

Connie said...

3 years already! Arrgh! That's too long! When we began our second adoption (2 years ago), we thought we'd estimate high and figured on 3 years. Now we're thinking 4, maybe longer.

I anxiously wait for that update every month. Only one referral:( We have 82 families ahead of us. I'm waiting very much for you guys to get your referral, because then I know that our wait will be at least as long as yours was, if not longer.

I keep seeing that Aug 2007 date too, and keep hoping each month it disappears. Apparently that family has a very specific request. Makes me wonder what they've requested. I feel sad for them for having to wait so long.

Anonymous said...

Lawks, this is even worse than me!

I am so hoping that referral comes quickly for you

Say hi from M. to M.

Helen