September 01, 2010

Jealousy

Admit it.  You've been there.  You've been waiting for your referral and someone else you know gets theirs.  You are excited for them.  Elated with joy.  You write a congratulatory comment or email to them.  Maybe both.  You might even share your heartfelt excitement with a phone call and/or gift.  But deep down, you hate them.  You maybe even shed some tears of anger.  You're filled with jealousy.  You wonder how you'll manage seeing them in person without wanting to throw something at them.

My love/hate relationship?  We met in Ethiopia.  We received our amazing son and they received their amazing daughter.  Over the last few years, we've shared many phone calls, emails, snail mail items and even reunion visits.  Without knowing what the other was doing, we applied for our second adoption.  It wasn't until we both shared the exciting news that our dossier left Canada that we realized what happened.  Our dossiers went to Ethiopia in the same docket envelope.  How cool was that! We laughed, and prayed, that we'd be having a reunion in Ethiopia as we each picked up our second child.
Quite a few months ago, about five or six months now [I've lost track of time], they received their referral.  Their request?  An infant boy under 12 months.  Our request?  A girl under three years of age, being open to siblings if.  As we all know, infants take a long time to receive a referral for.  So do girls.  We were both on the slow track to uniting.

So when they received their referral I was elated.  I was thrilled.  After a week went by I realized that the jealousy was brewing.  I'm over it now, of course, but I did need to get a grip on it.  I needed to make sure the words "I hate you for this!" didn't spill out.  

Thank goodness we are such good friends and honesty can be had.  They know it's not personal for me to be jealous of the situation, and I know it's not like they went out and did it to spite us.  We're all good.  We're full of hugs.  We still miss them and hope to see them soon.  They too understand and love us for hating them. 

But jealousy can really overwhelm you in this process.  All those referrals that happen and as you get closer to the top it still seems so far away.  Half way through you wonder if you should be switching countries because another program started.  Those families have started and finished with kids at home in less time than a referral wait!  Then there's all those people having biological children, leaving you in the dust.  Some have two or three kids come home from the hospital while you keep waiting.  Theirs only taking 9 months and the whole time they know their due date.  When are our due dates?! There's no end date.  The time between referral and travel is now just as long as a pregnancy!  So once you do get your referral, you really have no idea as to when you get to hold your child in your arms and whisper "I love you".  

So yes.  Jealousy is a common emotion that rides the adoption rollercoaster with you.  Admit it.  I know I'm not remotely alone.  

PS - for those family members [MOM!] reading this, do not be concerned.  I'm  doing just fine and jealousy is not a factor at the moment.  I'm just talking about realities.

10 comments:

Maria said...

Hi,

Thank you so much for sharing these reality! It is so true and you worte it down so the way it is but a way I would never dare to say..

Btw I follow your blog for a long time (silently) and thanks for coming back and writing again .

We almost have the same DTE we are one week later and we are with Imagine, I hope our referrals will come SOON!!

Maria

The Turgeon Expansion said...

Oh so true, Sherri! You try not to spit bullets, and black marker out their face, but still know that we're so very excited, but so envious. You hit the nail on the head.

Curly Mama said...

this is so true!!!
I really had a hard time dealing with this these past few weeks, especially with people who had the same request but whose dossier arrived after ours getting a referral.

Anonymous said...

Of course these are examples of the emotions that you and so many others are feeling and dealing with often, if not daily. It is good that you can talk about it and be completely honest with your friends. These tough experiences are hard to understand but we are all grateful that one day soon each of you will receive your referrals and what a joyful day that will be. Your children are chosen for you - for the family they belong in - the timing will be perfect. As a grandma I find the waiting difficult too but each day it only becomes a closer reality...I can hardly wait! Mom

Heidi said...

So, so true... I agree that you hit the nail on the head. I don't think it would be normal not to be a little bit jealous... We're waiting for the best gift in the world...

Hope your day is coming soon!
Heidi

Anonymous said...

Anonymous said....
We feel so much for you everyday...and were so hoping to travel together, but everything you said is sooo true..we have had those same feelings...know exactly what you are going through...We hope and pray your day is coming very very soon...
Love you and miss you all <3 <3

Connie said...

I don't blame you one bit for being jealous. I was jealous for you as I read this post. I really want you to get your referral soon!

For our first adoption, friends of ours got their referral before us even though their dossier went to Ethiopia many months after ours. When they got their referral, I broke down and sobbed and sobbed, because I was so sure we would get a referral before them, and I just felt that it was over for us and that we were never going to see a referal. Everything just wears on you emotionally after a while. Then we got our referral about a month later.

It's hard, but we gotta hang in there. Your referral will come at just the right time. Can't wait to hear about it when it happens!

hazel said...

Well said.

Yes, I'll bet we've all felt that jealousy and none of us is proud of it. But it comes with the territory. As does the daily guilt & sorrow you feel when your baby is now home but your friends are still waiting to bring their children home, despite receiving referrals at about the same time as you. It's not pretty. And it's not fair.

Ranavan said...

I always appreciate your honesty and candor in your posts.

Many times you say what I am thinking!

It is true - you are happy for others but the little green monster is hanging around taunting you...it goes away but likes to poke its head in now and then to remind you it is still around.

We have friends who have had 2 kids since we started our adoption...it is hard!

Sharla said...

I don't know how I missed this post but now that I have read it, I have to comment.

I have been guilty of the jealousy. Very guilty. And then you feel guilty for feeling it and you feel even worse. You are happy for the other person, sort of. You are happy for them in a happy for you, but wish it was me first or wish it were both of us kind of way.

Now that I'm home with the kids, I have struggled sometimes with feelings from the other side of things. I am aware of how I used to feel when I was waiting and so sometimes, I am careful about what I say. I struggled with a lot of guilt when we first brought our kids home and there were so many others caught up in the Imagine bankruptcy scandal who didn't even know if they would ever be able to bring kids home.

Yuck! Jealousy is just one of the ugly truths about adoption.