May 31, 2011

Confession Monday: Tuesday Edition

I confess that...

... I'm not near my computer enough to even do blog posts.  My blackberry works for email, facebook [for the most part] and twitter that unless I have work to do, I'm not at my computer.  And when it's work time, I've usually only made enough time to get the work done and therefore can't do the extras, like blog posts.

... last night I may have ear-witnessed a car theft.  I woke Lyle up and we both jumped to the window but saw nothing as they'd already vanished.  Very loud truck followed by a car alarm that managed to fade quickly as if being driven away.  

... we went camping in Drumheller for the May long weekend.  As we were packing up we had to call 911 as the man across from us was abusing his son.  It was an older boy, maybe twelve. It was heart-breaking.

... Mikiyas finished grade one two weeks ago.  He doesn't know yet.  I've been giving him extra things to do so he doesn't distract the preschoolers while they do their activities. 

... I received a most beautiful and heart-felt surprise from a friend the other day.  It shocked me to say the least.  This friend and I do business together and there's always that feeling of "I need to do something in return".  Receiving this gift really made me realize even more that we're not just business friends, but really, truly friends.

... we went for Ethiopian on the weekend for a birthday dinner for Lyle.  It really made me miss Ethiopia and it's culture.  I can't wait to go back.  Maybe another 10 months??

... this morning Mikiyas said he really wants his sister home.  I thought that was sweet.  But then he followed it up with "so we can get my brother home after".  

... we've been enjoying the friendship of someone out here.  We don't see each other near enough.  But the friendship reminds me of a friend in BC.  They are nothing alike and have nothing in common, but the type of friendship reminds me of a BC friend.  I've missed that type of friendship.

... I've learned just how much the way I raise my son is watched because of dayhome.  I feel like I will never be able to raise my son correctly.  That every time something is done wrong or simply because he's a 6-year-old boy, judgement is made.  I suspected it was happening, but really hearing it from the horse's mouth made me cringe.  Now I feel like I'm under a microscope, and Mikiyas even more, when we're around them.  I feel like I need him to be perfect around them, and not just a 6-year-old boy.  My job has brought this pressure and I don't like it.  But, I've know in my heart and in my mind that I can't let that negative attention happen so I'm trying my best to ignore it.  He has every right to be a 6-year-old boy learning the ways of life, just like everyone else, regardless of my job.

... while walking through a large store recently, someone asked if there was no school as Mikiyas was with me.  He said he is homeschooled.  The horror on the woman's face was priceless as she stammered out "Adopted and homeschooled?  You really are screwing this one up.".  Next time, freedom of speech may be followed by a fist but I was too stunned to move that quickly.

... I received an awesome [and very expensive] hand-me-down gift from a cousin on Lyle's side.  It was nice to finally meet her as we've only known each other on facebook.  And it was so wonderful receiving a Chariot bike wagon.  Considering she was offered a lot of money for it, and she chose to give it to us, really meant a lot! 

... we have an ant farm and a worm farm in our kitchen.  Here's hoping they don't escape!

4 comments:

Sharla said...

That comment you got from a stranger still shocks the heck out of me! I would probably have been too stunned to say anything too.

You are a brave (and ubber-cool) mamma to have a worm farm and ant farm in your house!!! Plus, what great hands-on learning. It will be a whole different story if they escape though!!!

I understand the pressure you feel because of your job. When I was teaching more (special needs parenting, adoptive parenting classes), I felt completely under the microscope and put that pressure onto my kids too. It was unrealistic and it's something that I still struggle with around certain people.

Esther said...

Wow, Sheri, I think you win the "I don't think anyone could say anything more rude or hurtful" award. Not that it's fun winning that prize!! Phil says that you should have said, "Well I don't think I could do any worse than your mother did!!" But I think I would have stood there with my mouth hanging open in disbelief!! Sorry you were treated so horribly!! :-(

Dancin' Momma said...

The cruelness of people always astounds me. Then there is the kindness of people like your cousin, which helps me not become a hermit. :)

Rowan Family Tree said...

Tee hee - the girls are always asking about their "little brother" too. How little do they know about the effort to get him here!!!