April 02, 2008

Finally ... a post about the 2nd adoption!

Things have been so slow, but I'm sure you've all figured that out by the lack of blog posts. I could have come on here and expressed my frustration, but chose not to. Chances are, the only thing accomplished would have been an insult to our social worker. What should have been a short home study process turned into a much too lengthy one.

Our first homestudy report for Mikiyas' adoption was not too outdated. Our education was current and complete. Appointments with our social worker were kept minimal and short. Our last meeting was held in January. We were told our dossier would leave for Alberta before January ended. The report just needed it's amendments completed. Dates needed to be changed and some information needed to be added to include Mikiyas as part of our family. A complete bonus to the process was that our social worker received our previous homestudy report in a Word Document so amendments would be easy and quick.

Because it was going so fast, Lyle and I worked hard at making sure all the other items required were met and sent to Sunrise by January 2, 2008. Medical reports ... criminal record checks ... photographs ... financial information ... even the bank drafts from our loan.

I've chosen not to go into detail about where the breakdown happened because, as noted above, it will only insult our social worker. That sentence alone insults enough so no details are necessary.

It's now April 2, 2008 and FINALLY our dossier is headed to CAFAC in Alberta. It was so thrilling to hear those words today. So congratulations to us on this big step finally being done. As things move through Foreign Affairs and the Embassy, we'll be able to do some more posting.

14 comments:

Julie M. said...

I have been checking your blog regularly to see if there has been any progress, and its GREAT that things are finally moving along! This is a big step as you know, and hopefully your dossier will be in Ethiopia in record speed :)

The Turgeon Expansion said...

I've been peaking in also to see what was new. I'm glad to hear that dossier is off to CAFAC! Next big stop...Addis!

Jill, Trevor, Kohl, Aliah said...

Hi Sheri

Sorry to hear about the delay but CONGRATS on dossier moving on to CAFAC..Looking forward to following along.

Jill

Curly Mama said...

Our dossier is at foreign affairs again now, so if all goes well with postal our dossier will probably be heading to Ethiopia around the same time..

Dianne said...

Sorry to hear about all the delay you've had to deal with... but it's just fantastic that it's off to cafac now! Congratulations! One step closer :)

Lisa, Pierre, Marika,Karelle, Yakim, Tarik and Zavier said...

I was also checking daily to see for updates and was SOOO thrilled to see that your dossier is on its way to CAFAC... i'm sorry that you have been through many delays and hope that your dossier will head to Ethiopia very fast!!!!

Congrats again and so looking forward to following your second adoption journey to Ethiopia !

Lisa

Anonymous said...

Yeah for progress! Your dossier will be in Ethipia before you know it.

esther said...

ick...delays are no fun, but this is REALLY good news!! the paperwork is moving forward again, yeah!!

emily said...

Way to perservere guys! I'm so glad to hear its finally on its way.... can't wait to hear that it is in Ethiopia! Mikiyas is going to be a big brother :)

The Warren Family said...

That's too bad about the delay but I always think things happen for a reason. Can't wait to hear more!!

sandi said...

WOOOHOOO! FINALLY!!! So glad for you that things got worked out! Looking forward to hearing that your dossier is headed for Ethiopia once again!

Sandi

The Warren Family said...

Did you guys go with the same social worker? just curious?

Louise said...

I too have been checking to see what is up and when your dossier was leaving! FINALLY!!! You are in that wait again!
Louise

Anonymous said...

congrats on moving forward - I started this whole process myself in December & also was hoping that my dossier would be on its way by the end of January, but I do think that we have the same agency and the same SW, so had some similar delays I am sure (although mine was caused by the agency more so than the SW). I will look in on your site from time to time to see how it is going with you. Thanks for sharing.