I can't finish The Secret Daughter. It sucks. I can't stand it. I had heard that the author is apparently adopted. But I've also heard not. But seriously!!! She does not use any proper adoption language. If she really is adopted then she must have almost next to nothing in respect for her adoptive mother. She leaves the reader, thus far, assuming that adopted children are incomplete. That they do not find satisfaction or fulfillment in being adopted. That they will always wonder who they are. Well ... politely put, PISH POSH!
There's the feeling that an adoptive mother will always long for their "real" child and that the adoptive child will always long for their "true" family.
And I really don't like that the adoptive mother pretty much doesn't even allow anything culturally related to that of her husband and adoptive daughter into her life, or even her home. Talk about self centered.
I like to read to relax in the evening. I've been avoiding reading for weeks because I hate this book. I'm not finishing this book. So perhaps the ending is something worth reading to, but at this point in my very busy life, I'd rather forget about it and read something else more fulfilling to me.

6 comments:
It's not, it sucks. Horrid book, and horribly written. Good choice not to waste your time
Hmmm, never heard of the book, but I'll keep that in mind if I ever come across it!
Funny, I didn't particularly like it, but not for the same reasons. I did find the character of the mother kind of two-dimensional, and found it hard to buy in to her dislike of Indian culture when it was not just her daughter's heritage but her husband's too. But I found the desire of the main character to visit India and search for her birth family very believable. Based on what you say, you might want to just skip to the end and read the last couple of chapters - your perception about what the book says about adoption might change.
Personally, what I was not thrilled with was the ending and the way her search for her birth family resolved. Granted, all adult adoptees are different, and maybe it was a valid choice but it didn't ring true to me.
I hated this book too (as you know), for all the same reasons :(
I so wish I had read this before I bought the book at Costco last week. Now, I don't even want to start it.
i actually appreciated this book on a couple of levels, most being how it made me really walk in the thoughts of the heart of the birth mom and what she went through to give her child a hope and future. I borrowed this book from a dear friend who has adopted, and who suggested it a really good read. Sorry you felt that way about it.
Sheila
Post a Comment