January 27, 2011

Oh come on!

So I heard some news last night through the oh-so-wonderful-how-do-we-live-without-it facebook that Ethiopia was not accepting any more applications due to the now seven-year wait.  I learned during the first adoption [seems like eons ago] that when there's a rumor, call CAFAC and find out right out away what's truth.  So I went to bed not stressing about it.  Didn't stop me from dreaming about Cyclops running all over the campground we were at and M*rk W*hlb*rg killing it with with his one-eyed siberian tiger.  Can you tell what we learned about in Mikiyas' social studies yesterday?

I got on the phone this morning with CAFAC.  They'd not heard that rumor yet and as they'd just returned from Ethiopia on the weekend, they were positive it was a false rumor.  But, they checked into it and came back to say that indeed it is not true.  

Since I was on the phone I asked where we were sitting regarding a referral.  She laughed saying "You returning adopting families are supposed to be able to handle the wait easier?"  I laughed back sarcastically and said "In the over three years we've been waiting so far, this is my first request for knowledge!".  So where are we at?  "Very near the top of the list."  

With that knowledge, I was also advised that it is unlikely we will get siblings, as requested.  We will likely get a referral for one.  And, although we'll likely get that referral in 2011 [LIKELY?! HELLO!!] and may go for court in 2011, we will likely not be able to bring home until 2012.  But, they still are unsure of how long the process takes from the parent-attending-court-date until pick up as their first parent-attending-court-date was only in December.

And on that note, it may become even more likely that we will not proceed with a third adoption.  But, we will not confirm that as God's will over powers our doubt and discouragement.  

Right now, I really want a vacation.  We have not had a vacation or time off since Christmas 2004.  We had to bank holidays and save pennies for when we went to Ethiopia for Mikiyas.  Now, we do that for this adoption.  And being that each year we hope and expect it to happen, we don't take vacation time.  If we take the time and use money for it and we do get a referral, we're screwed.  And this adoption takes two trips to Ethiopia.  Vacations aren't everything, but we'd like to take Mikiyas on one sometime before he graduates!

So, here's hoping we get a referral soon so we can be united with one of our beloved children and here's hoping we win a vacation and free vacation time from Lyle's work. 

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Funny you are talking about your vacation time. I was thinking that I may not have to save vacation time as I may be retired by the time the trip is made. I know that All good things come to those that wait, but waiting is difficult for sure. Not to mention all the booster shots that may be necessary. My heart knows that Timing is perfect because its already a formulated plan but my head complains alot. :)

Anonymous said...

Praying for all that is needed, and an overflow of abundance.

Sharla said...

Yuck! Yuck!

Connie said...

Glad you looked into it and got some real facts. Rumors can spread so quickly. That's really not fair that they brought up how you're handling the wait. If this the first time you've asked in 3 years, I'd say you are handling the wait pretty darn good! "Likely" get a referral in 2011??? Jeepers! I was hoping you'd say "Likely get a referral in the next few weeks!" You have to be getting one soon! It seems like there's no rhyme or reason as to which families are getting referrals. I know one family who waited about 27 months for a baby girl (got their referral last August) and another family that has been waiting over 3 years for any child under 4, and they still don't have a referral. How does that work???

Anonymous said...

Oh Sherri, yuck. I cannot believe how long you guys have been waiting. 2012? Seriously. Sigh. Ugh.