January 12, 2011

Not Prepared

All the pictures are at least two years old, except this one.  It was taken last month.


Tomorrow we lose one of our family members.  We will say good-bye to Carmin.  For those that don't know, he is dying of lymphoma, diagnosed in November.  The vet did not expect him to go much more than a week, if that.  He's survived another two months.  During that time, he gained wait, increased his energy and returned the attitude we've come to love.  He also lived to see his 13th birthday!  But, as quickly as he lost weight the first time around, it's happened again.  In the course of a weekend, the weight he gained disappeared and took with it some more.  

Since his diagnosis, I told Carmin that he had to tell me when it was time to go.  He came to me yesterday and in his own way, he told me.  I cried and snuggled.  Tomorrow evening [Jan 13] at 5:00 pm the vet and the cremator will come to the house.  We chose to have him put to sleep at the house because it is where he will be the most comfortable.  [No, he will not be cremated at the house.]  He despises vets, car rides and most other people [really, he is an amazingly gentle and loving cat!] so taking him into all three during his last moments just doesn't seem fair.  This way too, I can be with him.  But yes, I'm horrified.  I've lost pets before, but never like this.  They died without me around or knowing what happened [farm life].  I will never be prepared for losing a pet so close.
 
He loved sleeping in Mikiyas' crib  before he came home.



I am already worrying a little about Sandi.  She's from the same litter as Carmin and has never been alone before.  Hopefully she'll grieve and grow stronger through it all.

9 comments:

Sharla said...

Oh Sherri...I am so sorry.

Amy Beeman said...

I'm so sorry :(

Joy said...

Oh, sweet boy. We went through this with our dogs (yes, both of them) 3 years ago this February & April. There is not much to say...it is a difficult and sad time, and their lives are just too short...

CinnamonOpus said...

I am so sorry that you save to say goodbye to such a lovely, faithful friend. It is so hard to say goodbye, but you are helping him leave this world as gently and painlessly as possible, so you are making a good decision in love. We did a house call for our girl Opus last year, and so she got to leave us calmly and quietly, on her favourite blankie, wrapped in the arms of the person she loved most in all the world. If only we all could leave that way. Peacefully.

Goodbye, sweet boy. Sleep well.

Heather Blake said...

Oh Sherri....I'm so sorry. Cats have such wonderful personalities that it is not easy to lose one. I love all the photos you posted. He looks like such fun and such a big baby!
In Grief
Heather

Lisa said...

Very very sad. I know you guys will miss him for a long time.

Anonymous said...

You know Sheri that words cannot express how I am feeling about this loss. Carmen was a wonderful pet and friend to you all and I hope you find strength for today and the days ahead. You are doing the best thing for him. Love to you all. Mom

Curly Mama said...

I'm so sorry to hear about Carmin.. I understand how important our pets are to our family.

Laura

YukonAnni said...

Our little fur-friends touch our hearts in such a special way. I'm sorry for your loss, and happy you have such lovely pictures and memories too.
Anni