January 18, 2012

January 18 Journal Email

Today was rather crazy.  Later in the evening the night before, Lyle and I were called for a confidential meeting.  We discussed things and I began mediating.  Come morning, things were still needing to be tended to and we were have secret discussions.  At the time we were preparing to join others to tour the world famous Fistula Hospital.  On the way there, a call came to a drivers cell and I had to return to the guest house with the kids.  Lyle and the two moms joined the rest of the group in the other van and continued on to the Fistula Hospital. 

While driving to the Fistula Hospital, Lyle recognized the area from our trip five years ago.  The Fistula Hospital is very, very close to the foster home Mikiyas lived in for six months prior to us picking him up.  Ketema was shocked that Lyle was able to quickly recognize the neighborhood as things are constantly changing.

No pictures allowed inside.
Healing women make these and sell.
Regarding the Fistula Hospital, this is my mom's writing:
We visited the Fistula Hospital today - this was quit the experience.  It's a beautifully landscaped (referred to as Garden of Eden and you would never know the place is in a city like Addis) hospital near the river (unnamed river) about 25-30 minutes from where we are staying in Addis.  It is the only hospital like this in the world.  Oprah Winfrey has financed the recovery area for women whose surgery was unsuccessful to some degree and require further assistance for as long as it takes.  The grounds are beautiful, the hospital buildings are all white and everything is spotlessly clean.  We had a tour of the facilities - an opportunity of a lifetime.  So proud of what is being done there for the women.

I returned to the guest house for a brief meeting, important for us and why the call happened. I received the visa for Mihret to travel to Canada!

The rest of the day had continued meetings and talks about things I cannot discuss.  I mediated and worked on explaining things between language barriers and cultures the best I could.  I also went for a couple walks just to air my brain.

During the evening, we went with a bunch of families for delicious Chinese food.  We could have eaten more, but when my mom asked the waiter for another plate of chow mien for us, she was told "one is enough" and he walked away.  During the dinner, things were happening outside the restaurant and what was necessitating all the meetings and talks was fixed.  It was a relief to many many people involved. 
Quite the loaded down van!

No comments: