January 06, 2012

January 6 Journal Email

Today is Christmas Eve.  We had amazing hot water for showers!!  Things around here closed early, just like home.  But many places still have to work, including tomorrow, just like home.  We need our staff at the guest house, but I'm not sure if it's a lighter staffing load tomorrow.  We have a couple Christmas presents for a few of the ladies in the guest house that we've come to know and love.  It will be nice to see them smile with something extra special.

We skyped for a bit with Lyle again this morning.  Since then, the Internet has been down in the building.  If it's not one thing, it seems like another.  Not sure when I will be able to send this.

Mihret's days are getting better.  She's more willing to play around other people now.  Not with, but near them.  Today was the first day she actually wanted me to put her down!  It's a miracle.  Of course, that was only in the safety of our room.  Outside in the court yard I can put her down too, but she whines for a bit before settling to play with something.  I have now started to put her down in the hallway before we get to our room so she learns that she can walk and not be carried outside our room.  She did good after the first five or six times. Mihret continues to eat a LOT but only filled two diapers today. Trying to get her under control before Lyle comes or I'll never get him participating.  Haha.  She didn't like going down for nap, but was absolutely amazing going to bed.  Although we were still in the same room doing stuff with a light on, she laid down still and just watched us silently until she drifted to sleep.  I've also been blessed in that she sleeps the full eleven-twelve hours through the night.  One mom here is struggling.  Her daughter only sleeps a couple hours at a time.  When Mihret wakes, she doesn't cry, but runs her nails along the playpen to let you know she's awake.

Mikiyas is continuing to spend a lot of time playing outside, which is so nice.  I need a court yard like this at home.  He loves playing basketball, especially with a man named Evan.  He and his wife leave tonight to go home with their newly adopted son. Evan is the brother to a lady that Lyle met here in the Summer and we got to know her and her family more when we visited with them in the fall in Calgary.  Small world keeping us all together. Evan has been great in taking time to play basketball as sometimes Mikiyas is the only kid wanting to play outside, and Lyle's not here and I'm watching Mihret as she naps.  Mikiyas is totally safe, and has done it many times, to play in the courtyard without others there.  But it's always funner to play basketball with someone.  Mikiyas told Evan today that it's too bad he won't meet Lyle and that he'd like him.  Good thing Evan and his family only live 20 minutes away.  They've also invited us to the church he pastors.

My mom and I continue to enjoy our walks with the kids.  Today we hit up a bakery with delicious fresh buns.  The security man there had fun chatting about the kids, thanking me for adopting the kids.  He commented that the kids look alike, which they do.  Then we joked about them looking just like me.

We also went to the grocery store where a man asked me "How does this work? They're black, you are white.". I just looked at him and said "It's a miracle!". He and his friend chuckled and walked away.  At least they weren't insulted.

During our afternoon walk we went to a new Art Gallery in the area.  Beautiful paintings done by a very talented man.  Many of the people staying at the guest house have bought paintings from him.  One family even bought five of the them.  They really are beautiful. Mikiyas picked one out that he really liked but at this time we won't be getting one.  I wouldn't make a decision like that without Lyle's input.  By Ethiopian standards, they're very expensive. By North American standards, they are not.

We saw some wild life (aside from the usual livestock).  We saw some odd looking lizards n our walk.  They sure moved fast as they scaled a cement wall.

As I head to bed I hear the Christmas celebrations begin.  A lot of music.  A lot of people chattering.  Oh - a live goat or sheep being slaughtered.  Sweet dreams now!

No comments: