So I'm just finishing up my day of Jan 2 while you guys are starting it.
Mihret slept through the night. I did too, with a little help from night time Advil. Mikiyas did some sleep talking that concerned me, but he couldn't remember come morning what it was about.
Mihret ate breakfast. Yay! She and I then headed to the doctors office. Lil' Mesfin took us and we enjoyed chatting. He can't wait for Lyle to arrive. Apparently Lyle is one of his best friends. I was showing him photos of home when we got back from the clinic and he just walked around looking at the one picture of Lyle, excited to know he's returning soon. Mesfin and I enjoyed some deep conversations. Christmas is coming (Jan 7) so instead of his original request for Lyle to bring him a new pair of shoes, he asked me to purchase he and his mother a sheep so they could eat it for their Christmas meal. How can I say no, especially once the exchange rate meant I only spent 60.00 for an entire sheep! For him, that cost 1,200.00 birr, which can be a years salary, or more, for most people here. He can now feed his family a terrific Christmas meal.
Speaking of exchange rates, in case people would like to do the math, it is 17 something birr for each US dollar.
Back to the doctor ... Mihret has eczema, as I suspected, on her neck. Her bumps on her face are from uncleanliness and will go away with good hygiene. I squished one tonight and it was rather gross. She is quite constipated. She is now on amoxicillin for the chest/sinus cold. We saw a pediatrician so unfortunately I couldn't get a prescription for myself. I am very run down but am managing. I paid 80 birr for the doctor and 182 birr for amoxicillin and cream for the eczema. She is on the mend!
Mihret cries every time she is put down or moved the slightest in my arms. She is definitely power struggling and now is comfortable enough to slap me. I've been doing some ignoring of her forced cries where she looks to see if I'm watching, and if I am she'll push one out. Then get louder. But now I'm making her work for her up time. She either stops the forced cry or she has to walk to where I am. In this culture, if a child cries, they are held. Always. Every time. So she has become quite lazy and waits for someone to pick her up. She caught on by the second time I said come in Amharic and it has gotten better.
Mikiyas finished his first Archie comic cover to cover today. It is nice to see him enjoy things not related to a screen. He did watch Kung Fu Panda 2 on the iPad, but it's nice to see other things being done. Hopefully his enjoyment of reading can turn more into an addiction. Tonight he started on a Geronimo Stilton book.
We didn't really go out today, but did walk up to the shopping complex. Four floors and each floor is exactly the same. Each store is basically dollar store quality or a men's suit shop. What caught me off guard was seeing a mall security guard at the entrance doing a pat down to every single person who walked through the door, except us. Safety first I suppose. But when a Caucasian person carries a baby, you get to skip pat downs.
Mihret refused lunch, but did enjoy my pasta at dinner. Everything comes spicy here, even when mild is requested. Mom is getting used to that.
Speaking of my mom ... Her new room is great and her shower is absolutely wonderful. I will be enjoying my showers in her room from now on. Just like being at home.
Again, looking forward to starting the touristy things later next week. Then these emails will get more interesting. We will see sponsor kids, the landscape, touristy sites, Portuguese bridge, among other things.
Anyhow. Off for now. Going to enjoy some reading with Mikiyas and fall fast asleep. Hopefully tomorrow some of this congestion and feeling run down will go away.
Mihret slept through the night. I did too, with a little help from night time Advil. Mikiyas did some sleep talking that concerned me, but he couldn't remember come morning what it was about.
Mihret ate breakfast. Yay! She and I then headed to the doctors office. Lil' Mesfin took us and we enjoyed chatting. He can't wait for Lyle to arrive. Apparently Lyle is one of his best friends. I was showing him photos of home when we got back from the clinic and he just walked around looking at the one picture of Lyle, excited to know he's returning soon. Mesfin and I enjoyed some deep conversations. Christmas is coming (Jan 7) so instead of his original request for Lyle to bring him a new pair of shoes, he asked me to purchase he and his mother a sheep so they could eat it for their Christmas meal. How can I say no, especially once the exchange rate meant I only spent 60.00 for an entire sheep! For him, that cost 1,200.00 birr, which can be a years salary, or more, for most people here. He can now feed his family a terrific Christmas meal.
Speaking of exchange rates, in case people would like to do the math, it is 17 something birr for each US dollar.
Back to the doctor ... Mihret has eczema, as I suspected, on her neck. Her bumps on her face are from uncleanliness and will go away with good hygiene. I squished one tonight and it was rather gross. She is quite constipated. She is now on amoxicillin for the chest/sinus cold. We saw a pediatrician so unfortunately I couldn't get a prescription for myself. I am very run down but am managing. I paid 80 birr for the doctor and 182 birr for amoxicillin and cream for the eczema. She is on the mend!
Mihret cries every time she is put down or moved the slightest in my arms. She is definitely power struggling and now is comfortable enough to slap me. I've been doing some ignoring of her forced cries where she looks to see if I'm watching, and if I am she'll push one out. Then get louder. But now I'm making her work for her up time. She either stops the forced cry or she has to walk to where I am. In this culture, if a child cries, they are held. Always. Every time. So she has become quite lazy and waits for someone to pick her up. She caught on by the second time I said come in Amharic and it has gotten better.
Mikiyas finished his first Archie comic cover to cover today. It is nice to see him enjoy things not related to a screen. He did watch Kung Fu Panda 2 on the iPad, but it's nice to see other things being done. Hopefully his enjoyment of reading can turn more into an addiction. Tonight he started on a Geronimo Stilton book.
Mihret refused lunch, but did enjoy my pasta at dinner. Everything comes spicy here, even when mild is requested. Mom is getting used to that.
Speaking of my mom ... Her new room is great and her shower is absolutely wonderful. I will be enjoying my showers in her room from now on. Just like being at home.
Again, looking forward to starting the touristy things later next week. Then these emails will get more interesting. We will see sponsor kids, the landscape, touristy sites, Portuguese bridge, among other things.
Anyhow. Off for now. Going to enjoy some reading with Mikiyas and fall fast asleep. Hopefully tomorrow some of this congestion and feeling run down will go away.
No comments:
Post a Comment