March 26, 2007

The LONO and other great topics.

On Friday we received a phone call from Sunrise [provincial agency] that our Letter Of No Objection had been issued from the Province of BC to Nairobi. Today we received a copy of it in the mail. Another step completed ... each one making the dream more real and exciting.

_______________________________________________

I've also been trying to find the Ethiopian meaning of Mikiyas' name. I received an email back from someone in the US with the same name:

Yes, the name 'Mikiyas' is a name from the bible (the Amharic translation). The original Hebrew version is spelled 'Micah' (itself a contracted version of 'Micaiah'), and it means 'who is like Yahweh', where Yahweh refers to God (since the Jewish never refered to God as 'God', as it was considered blasphemous). So I guess you can take 'Micah' to mean 'who is like God'. Micah was a prophet in the old testament that predicted the destruction of Jerusalem.

This is also the same definition for the English name Michael. If my brother is reading this ... don't let this go to your head!

_______________________________________________

We have continued to get ready for Mikiyas' arrival. No, there is no travel date yet. On Sunday Lyle was painting baseboards [we started over a year ago when we moved here]. I was washing Mikiyas' bedding and the clothes that we will take with us for him to use in Ethiopia. We also bought a few of the last remaining items we need for Mikiyas' arrival. Doing things like this have been good because it helps me make sure I haven't forgotten anything ... which I realized I forgot to put plastic pants on our packing list. Got those set aside now - phew!

We've also decided that we will go to Ethiopia two days early. It will be during that time that we will visit our sponsor child and his family. We've also been asked by some friends in Vancouver to visit their family that is still living in Addis Ababa. That will allow us not to feel like we are cramming too much in after we've picked Mikiyas up.

_______________________________________________

So now that Angeline Jolie and Brad Pitt have adopted another child, which really is great news, I've been hounded with comments and questions again. "Do they buy their children?" "Do they do it right?" "Why do they get them so fast?" And the ones I hate the most "Trying to be the next Angelina?" and "What country are you going to shop from next?". Most of the more insulting questions are said with a sly smile as people are not trying to be rude, they're trying to be funny. But it's insulting. No, you really are not the only person to think of that stupid comment!! No I don't think it is funny!!

First off, I truly believe that Angelina and Brad are doing things properly. For one, the media doesn't always know every little thing that goes on in a family. Much to their dismay, they really don't know. Who knows how many months ago Brad and Angelina filed their papers to start the next adoption. Another thing to think about, adoptions in the US are months and months shorter. Some as short as 4 months. Things are simply different there. And for Angelina, she is doing updated homestudy reports - the same we will be required to do when Mikiyas is home - and so a lot of her paperwork continues to be up to date.

Last night Lyle and I watched Blood Diamond. It was hard to get through. I cried a few times. Lyle found it hard many times to watch. People can say "it's of the past" but it's not. Stuff like that is still VERY real. And it continues in generations. Some of those children are still alive. Those families are still continuing to get over their horrific memories. This morning in continuing my thoughts of the movie, I recalled that Leonardo DiCaprio was lead to do humanitarian work, and he was very attached to one particular child. My thoughts continued ... Angelina Jolie. She started her humanitarian work and adoptions following Tomb Raider 1 which was filmed in Cambodia.

I have heard of people who are lead to adoption after watching World Vision, or movies like Hotel Rwanda, Power of One, Constant Gardener and now there is Blood Diamond to add to the list. If people who watch the movies are lead to international adoption, how can we be so judgmental to a star that is inspired from their first hand experiences?

I do acknowledge that there are people, not just stars that adopt for the wrong reason. Maybe a fashion statement; social acceptance; to be different ... but why ridicule a woman who has honestly brought some world awareness of issues that NEEDED to be brought.

Bono from U2 has brought an amazing amount of awareness to AIDS in Africa. So if he decided to adopt a child, would we ridicule him? Probably not because his humanitarian work came first.

On another note, does Angelina buy her children? No. She goes through the same processes as others in the US. Does she get to jump the line because of her large monetary donations? I don't know. But you know, if her thousands of dollars help thousands of children of families over the next ... I don't know, 50 years? ... then sure, she can jump in front of me on the referral list. Maybe that isn't fair to some waiting parents, but it doesn't matter WHO she is, it's WHAT she has to offer. Some non-popular regular person who donates a whole lot of money may be bumped up in line too. We just don't hear about those adoptions because they're not movie stars. But again, I don't know if she jumps a line or gets special treatment because of donations. I'm just saying, if it's saving lives, she can jump in front of me in line. It may not be right or fair by the process view, but it's right morally in my book.

Besides, I have God on my side and that far outweighs any dollar figure. We'd have been matched with the perfect child God had chosen for our family no matter what. And that perfect child for our family is Mikiyas.

10 comments:

Lisa, Pierre, Marika,Karelle, Yakim, Tarik and Zavier said...

Great post again Sheri ! You always are so honest and shine through in your words !

Must be so excitingto know that you will be travelling soon and bringing Mikiyas home !

I can't wait to hear all about it !

Lisa

Anonymous said...

Hi Sheri, Lyn and I watched Blood Diamond last night also.I think it is remarkable that we are being presented with such a real account of what has (and is still) going on. I look forward to your updates and can't wait to meet your liile boy. You are in our prayers, Laura T.

Anonymous said...

Hey, sis-in-law!
I read that comment about the definition of the English name "Michael" to your brother and he just laughed and laughed! Personally, I think he might be past that stage in his life - KIDDING! ha ha You know he’s great in so many ways, but Godlike… that’s pushing it! ha ha ha
We watched Blood Diamond the other night and I have to say it really did leave an impression on me. I know people say, "that's just in the movies," but I know it's not. I know it’s real, whether it's to that degree or worse, it does happen.
And I totally agree with you about the whole Brad and Angelia thing. I think they're making a difference in the world with what they do. They should never be scrutanized for it - ever! Mosty they're being shunned by people who are too damn lazy to get off their own asses to do something to make a difference themselves!
I wish more people that have enormous amounts of money like that, do great things with it like them. Seriously, if money is all it takes to make the world better for some countries, why the hell isn’t it better? Even if every person in Canada dontated $5 to World Hunger, that would be over 161 MILLION DOLLARS. Think about it, five dollars. How much does a caramel macchiato cost at Starbucks? Like hello?? Five dollars. Everyone can afford that. It’s nothing.
Ok, there’s my rant for the day!

christi said...

Congragulations on receiving your LONO. One more step down, it's getting closer! I agree with you that Blood Diamonds was such a good film, but so hard to watch. Watching it and rationalizing that while it is a movie it was and is the reality of my son's first three years of life. So yes, people are still surviving these horrific wars and unfortunately it will continue to impact the next generation.

Anonymous said...

Dear Sheri,
I just happened to stumble onto your blog when I was searching for news about Leonardo DiCaprio. I have always thought that whenever celebrities like him and Angelina Jolie do things that are making a difference in the world, they are doing it because they feel some kind of duty to give back to the world, They shouldn't be criticized or held under a different kind of scrutiny as to their motives because they are famous movie stars. They could easily as well have been selfish and not gotten involved in anything of social significance. We shouldnt put them on pedestals either but ceratinly do not deserve criticism especially fom people who do nothing but sit back and criticize and make judgements/ all the best to you and your family.

Ann

Anonymous said...

OH my gosh some of the comments you get must aggrivate you like no one's business - everyone's a "comedian" huh?
I am continuously impressed (as I always have been)by your wisdom, insight and REAL-NESS.
love you guys!

Anonymous said...

Haven't seen the movie yet Sheri, don't know if I could watch it without having an emotional breakdown. I am so proud of the stand Lyle and you both have made to get the truth out about the process, emotions and every other detail you have been willing to share in regards to adoption. I too am grateful that there are those whose hearts and money can make a difference in the world. Wouldn't it be wonderful if everyone would decide to make a difference at the same time, what a world we could live in....MOM

Amy B. said...

That was a great post. I like Angelina so much. I think she presents herself in such a humble way. Also, she seems to be a truly caring mom. I was excited to hear that you are now one step closer to bringing Mikiyas home. Amy

hazel said...

Well said Sheri! I share your thoughts about Angelina and have meant to blog about it myself. Since you've done such a great job, I'll reference to your posting.

I haven't seen Blood Diamond yet but I do plan to. I'll probably be blubbering through it too - it doesn't take much.

Thx!

Anonymous said...

You two are too cute, haha!