April 13, 2010

April showers bring May flowers.

Really? Apparently not in Airdrie. April snow storms bring what? Yes, we have snow storms. Lots of wind too.

So aside from weather, what else has April been bringing?

April brought us news from the MP that CIC will finally acknowledge Mikiyas' correct DOB, and they will be making it legal. Hopefully, they will follow through with their words! Until I see it, I still struggle with accepting it.

April brought us crap news in the Provincial round of paperwork. Hopefully May will produce flowers in that department. However, we may have to wait until June since we can't even get in to see a doctor we've never seen before to do our medical checks until May. This puts us behind by at least two months. Seriously! CAFAC has assured us they will do everything they can to make sure we are not bypassed on our referral. If one should come in from Ethiopia, they will contact the province directly to try to assist in pushing things along. However, all of this, with the additional court date / extra trip has made us realize that it will be unlikely we will actually bring our child[ren] home during the year 2010.

April brought us Easter. One of the greatest times to celebrate life, love, forgiveness and grace.

April brought us a visit with Grandma Tractor.

April has brought us the yearly anxieties. We're coming up on having Mikiyas home 3 years. There are days that it feels like yesterday, and there are days that seem like it's been forever. But it's been perfect. Every day is a gift from God. Every year is a miracle. It is those pleasantries that I try to recall during the moments the anxieties take over. It is especially noticeable at bed time. For those of you who don't remember, or never read our other blog, Mikiyas struggled severely with falling asleep when he came home. There were some heavy fears and anxieties associated with that. Every April, they resurface in his subconscious. He doesn't realize it, and until it happens and we question "what's up with that boy?!", we tend to forget that it happens. As mid-May comes, things get worse [Gotchya Day was May 23]. Come the end of the May, things usually return to normal [we arrived home on May 31]. We are people who try not to read into everything as 'adoption related' but some things just are. Some children don't go through things like this, some do.

Welcome to April! MONTH 23. THAT'S RIGHT. MONTH 23. Didn't they say we'd receive a referral between the 18th and 23rd month?!

May flowers.
May flowers. May flowers. May flowers. May flowers. May flowers. May flowers. May flowers. May flowers. May flowers. May flowers. May flowers. May flowers. May flowers. May flowers. May flowers. May flowers. May flowers. May flowers. May flowers. May flowers. May flowers. May flowers.

5 comments:

hazel said...

April is a mixed bag. I hope our Alberta spring isn't too disappointing for you (in case you haven't heard this before - don't plant anything in your garden until after the May long weeked - you are likely to be disappointed by a late frost).

I am glad Mikiyas' DOB is going to be correctly finalized. That's interesting about his sleep issue every year - amazing how the subconscious works.

Lisa said...

Hopefully Miki's subconscious will settle even more this year - soon those issues will be a distant memory. God works for the good of those who love him.

And those May flowers.....my tulips are desperately trying to come out of the ground, however my rhubarb - the blessed weed that it is - always pleases me with its growth!

Sharla said...

I hope you don't mind me giving unsolicited advice but if you are pretty sure that M's going to have trouble, then I would take a proactive approach and start talking to him about what was happening at this time for him and for you three years ago. I would tell him the kinds of preparations you were doing and all the different feelings you had and then help him talk through what he thinks a little boy who was going through what he went through might have been feeling. Have him draw pictures, role play, use puppets.

Let us know how the month goes.

Connie said...

That's very interesting about his anxieties resurfacing every year. I would never have guessed something like that. Good for you for clueing in to that.

I sure hope you get that referral soon! You better not reach 24 months!

Sandra Knight said...

We had quite the day with our little guy today. Have no idea if it is gotcha day or not, pretty close I guess. He has days where he is "full of beans" every now and then. Much less frequent now that we are entering the fourth yr...can't sleep, can't sleep alone, yes i am sure you have heard them all too. I felt sad for them on mother's day, told them I missed their birth mom. Did not seem fair that I got all the cards and other good stuff... ahh, life. Take care Sherri, sk