May 21, 2007

May 21, 2007 Journal Entry

There is so much to write about today. I am trying to remember all of the emotions and pictures in my mind.

After a good visit over breakfast with H. [an adopting mom from Vancouver we know], we got ready to see our sponsor child. Demisse, from Compassion is probably the most careful driver in Addis. During the first part of the drive he shared with us things about himself. This including telling us about a paper he did on Oromos adoptions. The Oromos do inter-family adoptions. If one lady cannot bear a child, she will ask for one of her sister’s. They confirm the adoption through rituals, but nothing legal is done. If a biological child is had later, the adopted child can be denied. This especially happens when men have more than one wife. The court cannot help the child because there is nothing legal to support the adoption. Older people adopt so they have someone to care for them. In this case, they usually do not attend school. Also, if a child is adopted for work purposes, they won’t go to school. The process of an Oromos adoption is called Gutifecha.

We learned that the taxis are called blue donkeys. [The taxis are cars and vans blue and white in color.] That make sense when you see how many people ride in a taxi at once and how high they pile the stuff on the roof. Today, in Saris, a taxi was piled so high with items, I swear the bumper was almost on the ground. It reminded me of an IKEA commercial.

After picking up Immanuel, the Director of the Compassion Project we were going to, we went to Saris to pick up some food items for our sponsor child's family. Saris is amazing. Just like something off tv. You feel like a celebrity, or like you're actually in a movie. The children come to say hi [Selam] and just be near you. You are respected, but not expected to give handouts. I had some boys, maybe 9, come. I gave them all treats. It was not like Addis, with begging. They just wanted to see you. Even in the car I was continually being waved at and smiled at.

We then drove to the outskirts of Akaki. We went to the office of Compassion. Yisakor [sponsor child] was standing on the porch in his good traditional white Ethiopian clothes and scarf, with his mom beside him. I went to him and hugged him. He is so adorable. So small in my arms. A soft gentle face. A calm spirit. He had love in him, giving me flowers and telling me he loved me.

We went into the office to be shown financial statements / statistics and information about the program. They do a very good job and it is very thorough. Some of the kids that benefit from the project were playing on the playground. We videotaped and took pictures as I gave them fruitsnacks, bouncy balls and many smiles. It was so much fun.

Following that half hour or so we drove, with Yisakor and his mother, to their home. they lived about 15 - 20 minutes away. They had just recently moved again. This is common as owners change things and you are expected to move. The home is a mud house on a hill side, which I think only 4x4s can get to. They have a dog and a very hungry kitten. We were welcomed by all the siblings and four police men.

After we sat, Yisakor's mom talked, thanking us and explaining her family situation and the need for Compassion. I then sat on the floor giving the kids, Yisakor first, their gifts. I even gave the 19 year old a special gift. She does not live there, but came to meet us. All the children are beautiful. Literally, gorgeous children. Yisakor liked the Canadian flag and especially the soccer ball. His sister said he'll probably sleep with it. Had Yisakor been felling a little better, he would have been more active with it.

Gift giving was followed by Doro Wot [a spicey chicken dish made only for guests] and a coffee ceremony. I even had 1/2 a cup of coffee. I was able to ask why the police men were there. Yisakor's mom is opening her home for people to come worship God and fellowship. They are Christian and were there for that purpose prior to our arrival.

Yisakor's mom is also involved in prayer groups that go internationally by word of mouth / connections. They shared a story of a man who received healing that they prayed for. Lyle asked for them to pray for his dad.

We went outside for many pictures, hugs and thank yous ... and another I love you from Yisakor. It is a family we sponsor, not just a child now, and a family I hope to sponsor as long as possible. This experience was amazing. It was special, a dream come true. Something I hope to never forget. In those moments I found a type of happiness I had never experienced before.















It was sad leaving the family. I could have stayed to visit for many hours. I wanted to tell them I would be back and I would do more, but I knew I couldn't say those things. I do plan to go back one day though, and I already look forward to seeing how much will have changed.

After returning to the Weygoss we quickly got ready to go out again. We went with H. and two other families that were in Addis adopting through KidsLink to the Mercato, of course with Selemnah! The Mercato is Africa's largest market. It has everything - literally. You could get everything from dentures to camels there. We just toured it - no shopping. I would not feel comfortable there with Mikiyas, nor if Selemnah was not with us. I'd end up with a huge language barrier, spending money I didn't intend to or pick pocketed. You cannot take photos as they will want to get paid. Selemnah managed to get a couple photos while pretending to take pictures of Lyle and I.

We then went to the Concorde for Chinese food. Very good food. Excellent sweet and sour chicken. Why do people come here and not eat Ethiopian? If not for Yisakor's home, I would still have only had Italian, Indian and Chinese. At least we're cultural!

The visit with the ladies brought many thoughts about expectations and loving Ethiopia. One, I think people can easily get trapped in expecting too much from an agency. I'm not saying any of the families there had high expectations, I'm just saying I can see it becoming an easy possibility for anyone. Especially when it comes to the childrens' health. Children get sick - look how fast a cold passes in a Canadian school. At the home they're together in close quarters 24 hours day. They eat from the same dishes, share everything from clothes, to toys and beds. Now take them from that, parasites and low immune systems included, add air conditioned planes, elevation changes, recycled air on the planes, jet lag ... they're going to get sick. We need to expect it and deal with it accordingly. If they're not sick by the time they're in Canada, then what a blessing that will be. We just can't blame anyone.

Two, it is so easy to fall in love with Ethiopia. Remembering my post about my favorite place on earth, I thought of my love for Ethiopia so far. It is easy to fall in love with Addis. The city and it's people will always hold a special place in my heart. But I will go home. I think it is easy to fall in love with it here, but it'd be different if you had to live here long term. Finding a job, a home, a life would definitely change those feelings. You'll get used to the begging, poverty and children. You'll get used to turning them away rather than smiling, apologizing or giving them something. You'll get used to bad driving, dirt and heat. You'll still love Addis, but I don't think it'd be the same as loving it when on "vacation". We have cleaners, food, no need for jobs or income. There's respect for foreigners, shelter and many happy welcomes. It is easy to love Addis. But do we really love it or will it be a novelty that will wear off? Would we still love it if we lived here long term? So far everyone that lives here that I've talked to wants to leave.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Sheri:

You are so right (talking about the last paragraph of this post) - it is different when visiting than when living there. What you are writing has similarities to Nairobi. I have lived there for almost 4 years... very different from visiting! There are many things one has to get used to, whether you like them or not. And there are always positives and negatives... and somehow, as much as you can fall in love with a place, part of your heart is still at "home" - home in the sense of where you come from. I believe that where you live with your family is home. Take care!

Dolly

Anonymous said...

Crazy... great pics and commentary, thanks for typing all that up :) Can't wait for the next installment!

Lesley said...

Hi
The info on your sponsor child also brought back so many memories for me. I have to say that meeting our Compassion child was also one of our highlights. Such an amazing experience.
So glad that it worked out for you to do that.
We too loved Addis. Just loved the people and the places...incredible.
Great pictures!
Lesley