May 22, 2007

May 22, 2007 Journal Entry

We were talking over breakfast this morning that we are not feeling huge excitement. We know it is exciting to meet Mikiyas for the first time today, but we don’t have the feeling yet. We are glad the day has come, but where is the feeling? Are we bad parents? I feel guilty and ashamed.

We talked to another couple. They feel the same. He said the wait has been too long. We’re all just ready is what I think. We are content. It is perfect, and we’re ready. My stomach will probably do it’s flips as we go there. I’ve got clothes and toys packed, and it is today I meet my son for the first time. Maybe too, we just know him already. His face, his love. He’s our son!

So points of Ethiopia to note that are different:

1. Scaffolding is just not the same. WCB would not be impressed.

2. Addis is 250 square miles [approximately] with a population of up to 6 million.

3. You drive where you want, when you want and your horn is your best friend.

4. Street names / addresses are rare. They’ve just recently started applying road names.

5. Everyone has a cell phone. EVERYONE!

6. We have had no rain yet. It is very hot, dry and dusty.

7. Shoe shiners are everywhere.

8. There are two clocks here. It is now 9:26 am and 3:26. When the sun comes up it is 0:00 but it is also 6:00 am. Everyone’s day starts at sun up.

9. Each morning at 5:00 am the chanting starts at the church[es]. It can be heard all over the city.

10. Taxis are blue donkeys because they block everything, carry everything, are stubborn and the drivers care only about the money.

11. People are more polite and trustworthy here. People are honest and actually care.

12. Don’t flush anything down the toilet, including TP.

___________________________

We have met our son. I finally had my tummy do a couple flip flops on the way to the home. I was smiling. I was happy. It was the same feeling I get each time I drove into my hometown of 100 Mile House.

I was busy taking photos of other parents meeting their children, and Lyle was busy taping H. receiving M. Into her arms that when Selemnah said “Mikiyas” we were shocked.

He was walked in and told we were Mama and Papa. He came right to me. After our hellos we sat holding him and showing him some toys. He was tired as it was nap time. He was content just to sit with us. Here is Mikiyas' first picture with Mama, taken by Papa, and vise versa. I haven't seen any of the photos taken by other families yet so maybe they got photos before us.

He really likes his cars. He didn’t want to give them up. He was fascinated with the balloon animals N. Was making. Mikiyas basically just sat watching the other kids play. He was hot but didn’t want his jacket off. We tried two pairs of shoes on until he got fussy. The clothes size is 18 months. Dead on with his age. He smiles when he is tickled, but is a serious little fellow. He loved the camcorder and whined when it was taken away.

We had one scare regarding his legs when we put him down to stand. His legs were wobbling and he was wincing. It was like watching Bambi. I figured out though that he had to pee. He does seem to have a bit of a limp and a tender left leg.

So we had no tears, just perfection and love. Even when we said good bye. But we knew he was tired and sleep was what he needed so Lyle and I were perfectly comfortable saying good-bye until tomorrow.

It was a good time interacting with Mikiyas. We enjoyed watching the other families unite as well. They responded similar to us so it seems so natural.

Once we left we went ten stories up an office building for lunch – western style. Great food and a beautiful view of Addis. We were able to take lots of photos and video, particularly of the UN building.

In driving around, we saw interesting sites, getting used to having goats and donkeys as part of the local traffic. A road was being paved as well, which reminded me of one of my first jobs working at a road maintenance office. However, here the woman are working just as hard with the men, in their skirts shoveling gravel and laying tar. No job is too manly for a woman here.

On the way to see Mikiyas today we went to a supermarket and the Hilton Hotel. At the Hilton we exchanged our US money [8.9%] and bought a map of Ethiopia.

We finished off the evening by going to the Crown Hotel for Ethiopian dinner with entertainment. It was beautiful, fun dancing. The food was only meat dishes as they were fasting from vegetables. Both Lyle and I felt that the food is even better at Fassil in Vancouver. We feel it’s okay to compare with Fassil since the owners are from Ethiopia, coming here only a year and a half ago [Wegayoh’s parents]. But the dancing and singing was terrific. It is something I would have regretted not seeing.

Tomorrow we pick up our son. We will no longer be without him. God is good. This is all perfect.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congratulations on meeting your son!!! He is a beauty!!! It must be so wonderful to finally be able to hold him in your arms!! Enjoy every minute...as I am sure you are!

Warren & Liane Thiessen said...

He is so adorable! I hope you have a great time there and an easy flight back with your son!