May 06, 2007

What is your favorite place on earth?

If you've read the posts very early on, you know that my dream of going to Africa has been a long held dream. It is finally happening. This trip to pick up Mikiyas is just the beginning. Whenever I was asked where I would go if money and time was no object, it was always Africa, with the people. It is a continent I always felt I'd be able to see God more clearly in.

I believe that God is with the poor, just as Bono writes in his book, "On the Move" [the speech given at the National Prayer Breakfast], but I also believe more than that. God is with each and everyone of us. I personally always felt closer to God when I sat at the foot of a water fall. I don't know why exactly. I just know I am always in awe hearing the power of the rushing water, feeling the spray surround my body, tasting the sweetness, and seeing God's promise through the rainbows bouncing off the rocks, knowing it all started with just one drop of water. You can't help but forget your problems and see His creation. But it is when you are without, that you allow yourself to draw closer to God on a day to day basis. And even through the worst of times, faith keeps you going. Maybe that is why Bono feels God is with the poor?

Anyway, I've let my mind and my typing wander off. I've sat staring at this blog post for half an hour now, not getting any further. I'm trying to figure out how to explain what I'm feeling. Perhaps it's not meant to be explained. Maybe it's for later. I just know that when I was a young girl, having never been to Africa, and at the time never seeing a black child, God planted two very distinct seeds in my heart: adopt a child from Africa and go to Africa to be with and help the people. Not necessarily in that order and not necessarily at the same time. I actually thought I would do missions in Africa before ever having children.

Those two seeds became dreams. Those two seeds are going to bear fruit very soon. And I know this is just the beginning of the rest of my life. I used to say Africa was a part of me; it's in my blood. Up until now, I have just had pieces of Africa in my home that others have brought back for me. I know that in going now, a piece of me will be left behind. I know it will be very hard for me to return home. But I am encouraged knowing I will return to the place God called me to years ago.

I don't know if it is Ethiopia that is my favorite place on earth? I can assume that my favorite place on earth will be somewhere in Africa. So what is your favorite place on earth? As you think of that, watch this boy's video. He tells you about his favorite place.

3 comments:

Lisa, Pierre, Marika,Karelle, Yakim, Tarik and Zavier said...

Very nice post again Sheri ! It is wonderful to see a dream in the making. Thanks for sharing with us !

I really enjoy this video too, I want to share it on my blog soon too, I hope that is ok !

Lisa

Dallas, Lisa, Zane, and Ayana said...

Thanks SO much for sharing the video Sheri.... how do you find all this good stuff?!!! I feel like I'm always stealing from your blog, but I'd really like to share this too!!

Lesley said...

Great post Sheri,
We too feel a longing for Africa, and yes, we feel as if we left a part of us there.
Good video too.
Not long now....only a few days....and you will be flying there...Africa!! Yeah!!! So excited.
Lesley