March 29, 2011

Referral Story

Question 11 - for Sharla:  Are you going to tell us more about the day you got THE CALL?

Well the story isn't too fancy.  Nothing epic to say the least.  I had the dayhome going full swing.  Lyle was at work and Mikiyas was upstairs playing with his friend.  I was talking with one of the moms as she was at the house picking up her children.  The phone rang with an unknown name on the caller ID.  Just a phone number.  I assumed it was another mom calling about pick up times.

As soon as the caller said her name and where she was calling from I knew what it was about.  Why else would we get a random call from them.  Aside from that, do you remember me posting on my February 27, 2011 Confessional that I received some wonderful words regarding our adoption?  "... something special was said by someone I hardly know.  But this something made me excited about our adoption again.  It's amazing how just the right words, the most unexpected words, from an unknown person rather than those spoken to so often, can make a world of difference."  Well, those words that were spoke were during prayer time.  He said that we would receive our referral within the next 3 months.  The neat thing about prophetic prayer is that he doesn't recall that he said that.  So we've been expecting a call to come.

The social worker simply asked if she could come over an hour later to go over a child proposal.  I said "Really?!".  That was it.  When I was on the phone with the SW, the mom that was here quickly caught on to my side of the conversation.  She had tears while I calmly spoke.  I was told nothing over the phone, other than prying out of her that it was for one child, not two.  I wanted to know that much so I could prepare Mikiyas.  We had never really spoken to him much about the possibility of two kids coming.  If necessary, I needed time to prepare him before the SW came to the house.  

I called Lyle right away to ask him to come home right after work - scheduled time - rather than staying a little late as he often does.  He asked if everything was okay and I said "the SW is coming - understand?" and he did.

Meanwhile, the mom was still here, asking lots of questions.  She didn't understand why I was so calm when she was so emotional.  Other moms were coming to pick up kids too so she composed herself and left knowing to keep it quiet until otherwise told.

One mom was here when Lyle got home.  She asked right away why he was here so early.  She thought it odd and I said "family time tonight". 

The house was immaculately clean as, oddly enough, I spent the morning doing an overhaul.  Emptying closets, the pantry, boot room and reorganizing and cleaning.  Vacuuming, dusting .... obviously I was nesting. 

Lyle and I didn't say much to each other.  Just sat around waiting for the SW, who was 15 minutes later than expected.  We warned Mikiyas he'd be missing Taekwondo as we would be with the SW.  He was fine.  As soon as she sat down at our table, he accosted her for photos.  Usually she leaves those to the end, but she gave them to him first given his demand.  Lyle did most of the talking with her about medical etc.  I spent my time staring at her age and name.  The age shocked us and the first thing I said was "I might not be missing potty training with this one."  I had my laptop ready to find the name meaning. 

That about sums it up.  We ended the meeting with the social worker asking questions about the next adoption.  Yes, we are weird.

6 comments:

Sharla said...

I love it! Thank you for posting this for me. I've been so curious - especially given the words that were spoken during that prayer time - God is so good!

It's neat that you had had a morning of nesting and the house was ready. I love that your SW brought the info. to the house and that the three of you got to hear it together and see her face together.

(I'm surprised at her young age too)

Sharla said...

I love it! Thank you for posting this for me. I've been so curious - especially given the words that were spoken during that prayer time - God is so good!

It's neat that you had had a morning of nesting and the house was ready. I love that your SW brought the info. to the house and that the three of you got to hear it together and see her face together.

(I'm surprised at her young age too)

Debbie said...

Thanks for sharing, I too love to hear about how the referral happened, what the parents were doing and how shocked the parents are to hear that they recieved their referral(even after waiting such a long time; it is still a shock). Wow, she is little. Congrats.
Debbie

Connie said...

Thanks for sharing! It's a neat story. I love hearing referral stories. I'm surprised at her age too. I remember that feeling of being surprised about the age. We thought Kumera would be a little older too. He was 2 months at referral. 7 months when we brought him home. Now I'm anxious for our next referral.

Anonymous said...

Glad that there is already talk of your next adoption! :)

emily said...

I think it is all pretty epic! Thanks for sharing. Each referral story has its own beauty : )